My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Love Letters...

My parents love lasted the whole of their time together. I wish I knew more or could remember stories told and had paid more attention. Few if any letters survive. Who knows where they went or why they were lost. Or why I cannot find any. Except I did come across some today that were new to me. I am assuming that they are at least 60+ years old and I get the impression they were written not long after they were married.

They are little more passionate and were obviously written even when they were seeing each other during the day. I'm sure like any couple they had their problems but I remember how Mum was devastated when Dad died. And continued to be. She never did get over it.

I remember what a close family we were and even I will always miss him. And we're talking 31 yrs. Heaven knows where that time has gone. I am now older than the amount of time I had him in my life. In a couple of years I will have been alive longer than he was. To live as long as Mum I would have to manage another 29 years. I'm not holding my breath.

Not even sure that I want to live that long when I see the circumstances I will probably find myself. Suspect health will be much worse, income very low, probably alone and in a home. But we cannot choose how long we have, that's chosen for us. Not strictly true I know because many do take their own lives. Not sure I am brave enough or is that a coward. I think I am prepared to go and not bothered if its sooner or later but have to live out how much time I have been designated.

I remember even perhaps 4 or 5 years before he passed away, him having to go on some kind of course to do with his work for around a week and in the evenings he would phone home from the hotel to speak to us. And where the rest on the course would be out probably in a group in a pub, he was in the bedroom reading, he was a big reader and read all kinds of books.

I can remember him falling asleep after reading in bed on a morning after doing a night shift and his book had dropped onto the bed and his glasses were perched on his nose and mum or me would nearly always have to remove the book and glasses and put them on the cabinet beside him. When I pass away this line of the family comes to a close. I have no children, not likely to now. In fact I believe all of the male lines of my family tree that have my surname comes to a stop. Any remaining lines changed through marriage and those relatives having daughters. Its sad in one way. And yet means nothing in the great scheme of things.

Back to that course he went on to do with work. I remember Mum being so excited as the day approached and he would be home again. Even the boss of the dress shop Mum was working in at the time on the town(quite exclusive)said it was like a teenager, young girl in love.

Of course they had problems but they always overcame them. And the vicar when they were married either said it to them privately or perhaps in front of everyone at the wedding in his address. Never go to bed without making up. Something along those lines. I forget the exact words.

In reality I was born quite late in the marriage for the time. They married in 1948 and I came along in 1958. Mum was 32 and Dad 34. And Mum nearly lost her life having me after seemingly a trouble free pregnancy. It was touch and go whether I would survive. But we did.

Again you could not visit as you do these days when someone was in hospital, they were less than happy if you phoned but there are stories of Dad parking close to the ward Mum was in so she could see him from the window.

I also have heard that the Dr who saw Mum through it all had said something along lines that Mum was "Quite a pretty girl now that he could see her" She had been swollen because she had Toxaemia which I have just discovered after nearly 57 years is another term for pre-eclampsia and though I have been told that my health issues have nothing to do with what Mum had I see that condition involves high blood pressure, fluid retention and protein in the urine which can mean damage of the kidneys and what do I have? Kidney disease and I have had high blood pressure and protein. Coincidence? Who knows...

More on the Love Letters soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home