My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

OK Today I Was Aches And Pains...

but last evening the effort to reach Durham and see the musical "Anything Goes" was worth it. The Gala theatre never ceases to amaze me, the range of productions it secures and how it adapts the venue to suit whatever they are showing.

Basically it is an upper circle and stalls plan but wherever you are you get a good view and good sound.

I have seen a live event relayed onto a big screen.

And last night they had removed the first three rows of seating from the stalls and made an orchestra pit. When I first went into the theatre I wondered where my seat was because I was in row "D" and my impression when I booked was that rows A-C had been booked, it turned out because of the band, my row was the front and I was practically centre of the row so I had a perfect view of the production.

It was performed by the Durham University Light Opera Group(that has existed for around 80 years)and it was a quality production, the chorus is important to any musical but there was at least one performer that we can safely say will make it into show business and appear in lead roles and I suspect there will be talent spotters/agents watching. The music and dance routines were great even if the story is paper thin. Then again its a vehicle for the music and dance.

Thankfully the weather was kind going but was horrible coming home. It was raining and very windy but then again Durham gets windy anyhow if the weather turns bad. It was luck that we were not getting sleet or snow. It really blows you around when you hit the more open spaces such as outside the theatre and walking across Framwellgate Bridge. For all that there were a few women braving the weather and dressed in the stereotypical way that many talk about of people who inhabit North East England wearing short tops and skirts and showing a lot of flesh. I was well wrapped up against the cold.

I wasn't sure that I was going to make it to the bus station in time for the bus which would've meant an hour's wait in the bus station but I made it with minutes to spare(getting blown around a fair bit)and when mobility is poor and you are using a walking stick, its even more of a problem.

Today I took it very easy and stayed indoors.

Tomorrow its worked out that I have two shows to see...a lunch time jam session in Durham and a 40th anniversary show by the Houghton Weavers in Darlington in the evening. My plans are if I am up to it...

Travel to Bishop Auckland and see if I can find any tinsel in green, blue, red and pink at some shops that may have some still in stock and reduced in price. Then catch a bus from there to Durham to see the show but if I have been unsuccessful on finding tinsel, there is another branch of one store in Durham on the way to the theatre. I no longer bother about buying the best toilet paper either. There's only me, it lasts ages and I can buy 6-8 rolls for as little as £1.  After the show I can get a bus home, drop my gear off and perhaps have a snack.

Then I will catch a bus to Darlington and do the same again if I have been unable to get the tinsel, I will buy my electric extensions* and one of the shops** I plan to visit doesn't close until 7pm so I can stay warm and it is situated near to the theatre and with the new traffic layout there are shortcuts to the venue and back to the bus stop afterwards. I can rest whilst watching the concert and be ready to get to the bus stop and get my bus home.

And if the weather is bad on Saturday I shall stay close to home until I go out to the Brass Band show in Ferryhill on the evening. I can catch a bus reasonably easily before the event and I have my taxi booked at the end of the concert.

It has worked out quite well how both the shows for today and shopping trip have come together. And the show tomorrow has fallen into place.

*If memory serves me correctly and its large enough I believe a branch exists in Bishop Auckland and if I can get what I need there I may be able to go to Darlington even later than planned.

**TKMax A store I have never entered until around Christmas even thjough its been in Darlington for years. I always thought it was a fashion store but it sells more than that.

I have perhaps come up with a better idea for my day out...Firstly go to Durham at 11am or earlier(shop and see the show)travel to Bishop Auckland if I cannot get what I want, then either go straight to Darlington or drop off here and go to Darlington later than planned. That way I get an extra couple of hours before going out and I don't have to hang around in Darlington as long. How good is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home