My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

How Lovely To Have Virtual Silence...

After two or three days and nights of gale force winds. I may have double glazing but I could still hear it. Heaven knows what it was like in other parts of the UK where it was even worse. I was fortunate that I am able to avoid going out at all. Many are not.

I hear strong winds more in my home since they installed the combi boiler in the airing cupboard next to my bedroom. And after many hours it gets annoying.

I have stayed indoors today and been cosy in my bed but may have a night of watching movies in the lounge, cook a nice meal for tea and start cooking/preparing my buffet for tomorrow night.

Resting and being warm has helped me physically so hopefully I will be ready for my week of being out more most evenings which I mentioned in an earlier post four nights of musical entertainment, a lunchtime jam session and a small bingo session between Tuesday and Saturday. I have to pace myself.* Thankfully buses/taxis get me virtually from door to door and if I have to walk it is not too much distance and there are seats where I can rest along the way.

I am hopeful that most of my house work(Clearing the outhouse)will be completed before the weekend is out. Getting rid of it is the biggest problem if I have to pay for it to be removed(there is some old carpet and backing)the rest I may be able to have taken away in the recycle bins etc...All my pots and pans, cutlery, crockery etc...and cleaning items are in the kitchen cupboards and pantry.

Spare food is in one of the inbuilt wardrobes in a bedroom(in crates)away from any chance of rodents. Most of that food is canned anyhow.

The rest are in the remaining cupboards/drawers/pantry. Fresh goods in the fridge/freezer. All my kitchen equipment except for my food processor is now in the Kitchen. I don't need much of a preparation area when cooking for one. And I can work on the draining board or on top of the cooker if its not being used.

Still thinking of having a basic microwave in my bedroom for quick snacks especially during the Winter seeing that I have a kettle upstairs too. I haven't bothered with a toaster...yet!

Its no different to anyone living in a flat or a bedsit. And with all the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms wired into the house, perfectly safe.

*My illnesses, conditions and disabilities will not improve, they will get worse and I have no idea what the future holds if any of us do. I have kidney disease, medication has slowed down what I fear the outcome will be on that score, my immune system is shot and again that is helped by meds, the meds have probably played their part in causing other problems and we're playing one off against the other.

I have one leg shorter than the other, it hurts and does not always do what it should, the other locks and the same applies, it clicks and sticks and hurts like hell to get it moving again and I suspect my uneven gate when attempting to walk is playing havoc with my hip joints and lower back which are making noises that suggest bones are crumbling and/or wearing out. My left arm has limited movement and cannot be fully raised. But like everyone you do what you can. These past few days of rest have made a difference and I will have to do the same many times in the future I am sure. Also fatigue and tiredness,

Update:That toaster I was thinking of having upstairs is now reality. I took at look at the old one that I had ditched and had been outside my home since the house was upgraded around September/October. Cleaned it up and its practically as good as new and working fine, kind of happy I didn't throw it out now. So I have the newish one in the kitchen. A spare for when one fails(but that is a four slice toaster)those in use are both two slice toasters.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been watching the old western series 'Alias Smith and Jones'.It takes me back to when it was first aired,at that point in time it had been the worst year of my young life,reaching a crechendo as the year closed -and Smith and Jones provided an hour of jolly escapism- then to top it all at the end of that year,one of the leads Pete Duel killed himself.I think it upset a lot of people in England? Duel played the role with sensitivity and intelligence and that was probably his undoing? as it is thought he was not happy with the quality of the show- but he forgot that we the audience can forgive dodgy production values and scripts(IE Crossroads,Randall &Hopkirk etc)if we like the characters, and the right actors with charm can carry a whole series through its bad spells because we like and love them.
Apparently Universal cast the new lead Roger Davis, the afternoon after Duel's death and were filming the next day-how ruthless is that?

12 January 2015 at 09:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's quite a list of health concerns - what about an Elderly Persons Dwelling? You can't be too far off the age of being eligible for one? A one-bedroom bungalow would be far more manageable for you and far more cosy, and surely best to move before your health and mobility becomes worse? Also, you must be paying for the extra bedrooms at your current property?
It's just that you seem to be living mostly in your bedroom, if you're taking toaster and microwave up there.

12 January 2015 at 15:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That was very interesting your recollections on Alias Smith and Jones(TV in general)I always had the impression that smith and Jones was based on Butch Cassidy with Redford and Newman and over Christmas I had chance to see if that was a fair assumption. I believe that it was.

I had cause to look up Duel on the internet and the replacing of him with Davis is well documented, there is even a suggestion that someone was seen in the vicinity of Duel's home questioning if it was suicide.

Thanks for your other points on my health and home. I am spending more time downstairs and making more use of other rooms.

When really cold and its dark more and more people when I talk with them seem to use their bedrooms but I think it is true that it gives you a reason to get up and involved in life.

I think you can apply/look for suitable accommodation when younger these days but its not easy to find and independence is lost.

On the other hand I have another 9-10 years before I am officially classed as elderly. But its certainly an option.

The charging of rooms may be reversed depending on the election outcome. With careful management of income I am able to absorb the extra costs...for now.

12 January 2015 at 18:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You may've seen my post mentioning Gunsmoke(another classic Western series)but I have to chase it around the stations because no channels seems to be able to show it from start to finish. They all seem to have the rights to a few seasons. So I can find myself watching Season 10 and the earlier ones.

They are reshowing a British cult series at present The Avengers and today a producer and writer of that series and many other favourites Brian Clemens has passed away.

I am almost scared to mention favourite actors or people from TV, films and radio because though only coincidence...when I do they seem to pass away the same day or within a few days. Its just happened with Clemens.

12 January 2015 at 18:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This bedroom tax is dreadful, I agree!

13 January 2015 at 14:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home