My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I May Soon Be Left Alone...

Coming into the final straight regarding house upgrade I believe but still having problems. When doing the kitchen the workmen moved my slow cooker and microwaves into the passage(covered by a roof I'll grant)but temperatures become low(I originally asked they put in another room)tonight I started cleaning them and getting rid of the dust, then opened them up...I will have to throw them away and buy new. I can't be bothered to attempt to claim from H. Ass, The interior finish was all buckled and cracked and/or rusty.

Fortunately, I had some cash(and think I have found some items at Argos that may fit the bill and have a saving of £70 and I have a spare slow cooker in the house that is new. You can see the state they are in the images and in the final image the flaked off bits of the interior. For some reason I am having difficulty turning the image around the right way.








Oh and they managed to scratch the newly laid tiled floor replacing the washing machine...I managed to persuade them to replace the worst marked tile but they did not offer to replace the remainder and it was really easy to do but I think I am expected to live with the other damage. 

It may not look too bad and no further damage if I put down a couple of carpet runners, there is slight damage to my washing machine which I am told can only happen with chemicals but it works so I'll live with it...the writing has been smudged(there is no scratch)so maybe they were wiping the machine for some reason...



For now I am going to be approx. £160 out of pocket replacing items before I start replacing curtains, carpets, painting and replacing some furniture. Good job I am doing the work slowly and not rushing it.

I have started to put out my kitchen gadgets on the worktops. In time I will arrange them better(perhaps put some that are used less often)in cupboards or in the pantry. The only two items not displayed are my George Foreman Grill and a food processor but at present I have no plans to do much baking of cakes etc...In time I may try out the bread maker but often bread in my local supermarket is on offer/reduced and it can last me ages so that is the easiest option.



 

Update:Sorted...I have found(I believe the model is discontinued)a white Morphy Richards micro/combi oven 800watts, with grill and convection oven reduced to £79.99(approx half price)so the two I am buying are coming in at the same price as one would normally cost me.



It has had lots of good reviews and should be ideal for me. Though it is larger I found the spare slow cooker I had in the house too. It is a better one and has more control(in black)but apart from the halogen oven(that's in glass and silver)unless you count the lid and holder and slow cooker...everything is in white or will be.

The new kettle is now a rapid boil cordless model and I am about to use a basic kettle upstairs for drinks when upstairs. In time I may install a basic microwave upstairs for quick meals.

So back in business. The Microwaves are being moved from the Argos retail branch in Durham and should be in my town a couple of streets away after 4pm today.

Another visit minutes ago and they are taking away my old microwaves, TV, slow cooker and kettle so that will save me hanging on to stuff and eventually having to pay for it to be removed.

There is no boasting intended of what I have or own, not everything is a well known/expensive brand, many were on offer and some items have not been used that much so they seem new or were boxed until the time was right to use them. I reckon all of the above items come in under £300. In time I may need to consider a new stove again.

I'll soon put up some new images of completed kitchen/bathroom/toilet now the work is done and the damage is hidden/repaired.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help but wonder...why are you buying 2 combination microwaves when there's only one of you?

25 September 2014 at 09:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Nobody in my circle of friends do(well not to my face)and others don't when talking about things in general. I often cook from scratch.

They are smaller than cookers. They are often quicker.

I sometimes have a few items going at once and having two microwaves means everything comes out at the same time.

I was replacing two microwaves so if they have the added features of a grill and conventional oven but have cost me no more...why not?

You could ask why I have two kettles but as one is upstairs and one downstairs, it saves un-necessary trips up and downstairs.

Having two microwaves is more common than it may at first seem.

When my cooker breaks I may not replace it.

25 September 2014 at 12:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh fair enough if it works for you.
I've thought I would like a combination microwave myself for when I'm only cooking for myself (mostly cook for 2 or 3), but I don't have room in my small kitchen.

25 September 2014 at 16:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

My kitchen is small to be honest. I would question whether I have gained any space after the conversion. I have gained one extra piece of worktop.

The inside of the cupboards are smaller because corners have been blocked off(If that makes sense. The nicest thing is with the boiler out I now have the fridge freezer where it should be.

If I leave all the gadgets out I haven't much space to prepare meals.

I can use the draining board and cover it with those plastic type coloured chopper boards.

When you say you live in a 3 bedroom house and that it has a dining room too, its misleading sometimes.

The bathroom and toilet are really small, one bedroom is more like a box room and the dining room really does only have room for table and chairs and it needs to be put back down after use.

When the guy redesigned the Kitchen even he struggled to try and gain extra storage/working area, some neighbours have got around this by adding extensions/conservatories but of course they own their property.

I think you would probably enjoy a micro combi...a compromise could be a halogen oven.

25 September 2014 at 17:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the heck are you managing to afford all this when you go on about the cost of taxi fares etc?

You have a breadmaker but you don't use it and still buy supermarket bread? Home-made bread would be so much more healthier for you as you know exactly what's gone into it - no nasty preservatives etc.

Please don't "save" all these gadgets for a future time, because that future time may not come - make use of them NOW and enjoy the results!

You eat supermarket sandwiches that are days out of date sometimes and you don't use all these gadgets you have bought....what a waste.... *shakes head to self*

1 October 2014 at 22:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Most of what I have has not been purchased recently. Apart from the microwaves that I had to replace.

I am good at managing my money.

All of my gadgets are used and the only reason the bread maker has not been so far is I have misplaced the instructions.

But I will...I totally agree about using what I have. You may have seen that I have been having some nice meals of late.

2 October 2014 at 14:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home