My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday Already...

So ok the dinner party wasn't too formal...one course and a bit too much wine Smiley drinking 34.gifand it went well but I do think that amongst the "Small" talk you give away too much of yourself. Not something I would do too often. Having said that I did end up there again last night on my own having been out for the day on an arranged trip to watch a train(that was at the Shildon Railway exhibition)a few weeks ago. I was offered a meal so...

It was so cold. I thought I was prepared with a jumper, thermal vest, coat, gloves, hat and scarf but no...we were in the middle of nowhere high on a hill looking at Ribblehead viaduct in the Ribble Valley next to an ancient railway station that is on the Settle/Carlisle line.

As coming through was The Bittern on its way to Crewe. Everything was thrown at us weatherwise...thankfully the rain held off. But I guess it was worth what turned out to be a long trip there and back(a four hour round trip)an hour of waiting and my companions decided they wanted a drink afterwards.

There is always a pub...which was packed. Some locals entertaining themselves with guitars and lots of country walkers.

Then again perhaps we are just mad travelling so far for approx two minutes of train spotting. If I had not been offered a car ride it was too far and out of the way to reach.


Back from my Bingo on Sunday, I haven't encouraged reaction from the opposite sex but someone has shown interest. Her face lights up and she goes out of her way to talk to me. But I want to stay single and if I tried to explain why it would not come to anything I am going to sound horrible. Equally, no mention of dates has come up so I'm hoping it stays just as "Sort of" saying "Hello" when I arrive or "Goodbye" when I leave. Besides I arrive with a group of people so its not as if I am on my own. I'm doing something right or wrong, what I have no idea Smiley lol 044.gif

I think that I have eaten reasonably well today...prawn mayonnaise sandwiches, ham, tomato, lettuce sandwiches, a chicken noodle cup a soup, cheese and tomatoes. Will try and have a warm meal tomorrow. And I have slept well too.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you putting the cart before the horse with this lady?
Your not at the moving in stage . She might just want to be a chat companion? Can't you just take it easy and go along with things? Just because she might find something in common with you does not mean she wants to marry you for heaven sake LOL
I would say never pass up an opportunity to make a friend.

17 March 2014 at 15:40  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I know what you are saying is true and to be fair I am treating it exactly as you say and I do give her my time and show kindness towards her.

In fact I do likewise with a fellow who goes there too. It may be the only kindness they experience from one weekend to the next and may mean so much to them.

Everybody knows the man I am talking about and he is often in our town centre and shop keepers and shoppers alike all seem to know him and say hello.

I'm treating it carefully because there is an element of "Special Needs" and there are tales of some less than good stories where things have not been so good.

But I have the "Knack" of being able to get on with such people, they feel safe/open up to me. I did some voluntary work in such a place some 38 years ago. Perhaps I should have gone into that line of work.

And since losing Mum I have found myself in a roundabout way talking with/offering friendship with approx half a dozen who could be seen as vulnerable because I have time for them. It is a compliment.

You do have to be careful though...

Approx 30 years ago in a Butlins Hotel in Brighton I saw a female(again special needs would be used if it was today)and a redcoat who has to be approachable to all guests was having problems.

I won't say who he is as he did become quite famous and up in show business.

Situations can be misread.

17 March 2014 at 16:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post intrigues me, especially the line "but I do think that amongst the "Small" talk you give away too much of yourself."

On your blog you mainly talk about shopping, bingo, music events and what you have to eat, so what parts of yourself are you "giving away"? What interesting things go on in your life which you don't share on your blog? :-)

Also, I would love to hear your "horrible" explanation of why you want to be single!
Surely a simple "I'm happy being single" would do? Although of course you don't have to explain yourself to a lady who has done nothing more than be pleasant to you. She hasn't actually proposed yet!
(by the way, I'm not knocking being single, there are a lot of benefits to it! just wondering why you think saying so would sound horrible)

18 March 2014 at 09:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm determined to try and widen the topics I talk of on my blog as things pick up as the year progresses like the early days.

Politics is often a good one to get a reaction but could frighten readers off for being boring or because they have a different view to me. Or in the past I have to be prepared to be attacked.

I could start to do more travel/food content as that increases again. But that could depend on whether income reduces, that I am able to keep the internet going.

Changes in my health situation would alter what I talk about too.

Now I think when I talked about being single. I'm not against becoming a couple or having a companion(they say there is someone for everyone whatever your age)

I think I was being careful because of the situation this person is in and you have to try and read how they may misread or overthink. That also goes for myself too.

I am sure in my heart having someone else showing kindness and another person bothering to speak to her has done a lot of good.

I know what it has meant to myself since being alone in the past couple of years people showing kindness to me.

As for the giving of oneself I still have some anonymity here and at the "Dinner Party" I think sometimes they can turn into a bit like confessionals ;-)

This time I think that mostly came from others present rather than myself.

18 March 2014 at 10:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply.
I wouldn't worry about politics being boring...seriously, there is nothing more boring than hearing what someone has had to eat...I have an aunt who does this (in real life), really nobody is interested in what someone else eats!

18 March 2014 at 11:07  
Anonymous Ann and Peter Driver said...

Hello Gildy. Just wanted to add our thoughts. We love reading about your life & yes, what you have to eat too! We are on a budget like yourself & it's interesting to see what bargains you have managed to purchase & compare to our own. It's satisfying managing to eat a good diet on a limited income. I'm glad you don't usually talk politics on your blog - we have our fair share of that elsewhere.
Hope you're well & be sure to keep us updated. Love from Ann & Peter x

18 March 2014 at 19:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

How lovely to hear from you both...that is a worry if I introduce politics or religion but I am so tolerant I would not set out to offend. Occasionally it does slip into my posts but in a roundabout way.

There are many of "Us" who seem not to have similar lives but when you start talking you find out we have the same concerns.

I try to keep my politics to Twitter and that is an art in itself with only 140 characters available. I'm afraid I sometimes cheat by writing a few posts.

Whether you are in the UK or abroad we are surrounded by politics and it is nice to get away from it though it gets harder to do so...

Tonight at the Music Club I found myself giving in and doing a quick budget of my income and what I spend because I know some changes will come very soon and I hope they will be temporary but I think I can survive.

I am able to get on with just about everyone and people seem to like to talk to me. Even tonight I was thinking I had not seen someone who walks his dog since last year. I bumped into him and was still talking with him twenty minutes later. lol

He has told me that he has a band that plays "60's" music and they have a gig on the town in a few months time so that is in my diary.

I have some more bargains btw(I went into the supermarket after the music club) :-) Never thought I would walk the streets around midnight. x

19 March 2014 at 01:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home