My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, February 02, 2014

All Done And Dusted...

I left home around 5.45pm and called into Aldi's for some sweets in case I got a tickle in the throat during the concert. As it happened...I didn't so most of them came home with me. I had some time to wait for the bus so I sat on the seat and ate my sandwiches(red salmon and cucumber)and crispy sticks.

I ended up taking a litre bottle of soda water that I happened to have in the house.

I arrived in Durham around 7pm and was in my theatre seat by 7.15pm. I should have played safe and probably caught an earlier bus but all was well. Three rows from the front and centre. I don't believe there is a bad view from anywhere in the building. And plenty of leg room.

Now considering how my neighbour has occasionally criticised me playing the TV(as she calls it)too loud(never did when Mum was alive)I have to laugh because the opposite is true. I had earplugs in for the show(even the performers do that)and coming home on the bus the passengers were babbling so much I put the earplugs in for the journey home.

The concert was very loud even with the plugs in...

So it started at 7.30pm and Gerry Marsden's backing band started the night and then Gerry walked on stage. They still call the band The Pacemakers but none of them are from the original line up. We did not get any stories as I expected but what would be called banter between Gerry and his band and the audience. And there is that "Cheeky" Liverpool attitude often part of the attraction of many of the bands of the 60's that came out of that city.

We had some of his hits of the time but a lot of more recent material associated with singers like Bette Midler and The Eagles. Can I remember any of what I heard? "I'm The One" "I Like It" "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" "I'll Be There" "You'll Never Walk Alone" "Ferry Cross The Mersey" "Its Gonna Be Alright" "Great Balls Of Fire" "Jambalaya" "Peaceful Easy Feeling"(Not bad for a quick list from memory)

My photos aren't great because I refuse to use flash that will annoy others and often images are blured and yet others using mobiles just seem to shoot without any problem.


I tried to get an  idea of when the show would end to help me regarding the bus home and was told to expect it to end around 10pm. It ended around 9.30pm. And that included a twenty minute interval. Gerry and the band came into the foyer and gave their time(unrushed)to meet the audience, have photo's taken, sign DVD's and CD's the audience were well behaved and formed an orderly queue. He was still there when I took my leave. They are staying locally in what used to be known as a pit village just on the outskirts of Durham called Pity Me. Approx 5 minutes away.

When he came into the foyer Gerry was probably around my height or just slightly taller. I'd guess around 5' 4" to 5' 6" I don't do metric...


It was a very enjoyable night and well received.

I was home by 11pm and by 11.30pm I was eating a small supper(an unidentified ready meal)I had taken out of the freezer to make space for something else. I still have no idea what it was but I know it had some potato wedges, chicken pieces and a kind of tomato base with little pieces of what looked like peppers. Probably tasted better than it looks.


And I am now in bed, cosy, fed and rested. Listening to Bob Harris on Radio 2 who is being on the nostalgic kick as tomorrow(well today now)it is the 55th anniversary of the air crash that saw the demise of Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper(JP Richardson)and Ritchie Valens.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...


If you have a fairly sophisticated camera, what you can do is adjust the ASA speed to a higher rating to get good shots without flash/low light - it means more grain but the pictures remain sharp.
This film speed is a left over from old film cameras.

2 February 2014 at 14:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I probably need to study it more :-)Thank you for the advice. Appreciated.

2 February 2014 at 14:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously taking shots with the flash going off can draw unwanted attention, so if you wish to be discrete here is a rough guide on setting your camera.

This is a rough guide and should be taken as approximate.

ASA 25- use for well lit detailed portraits,and outside sunny day landscapes.

ASA 100- general purpose ie outside and inside normal sized rooms with the flash.

ASA 400- outside and the inside normally lit with the house lights but no flash.

beyond ASA 400 - for even lower light levels and fast action sports shots.

3 February 2014 at 09:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


PS.
Obviously your camera can do all this automatically and switch the flash on where needed.
But by setting it to manual you can add your own input and be more creative,also of course sometimes that flash can be invasive and spoil a reaction and draw attention to yourslef.

3 February 2014 at 09:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home