My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Yesterday's Business...


It would appear that London in particular had a big turnout for the day of action against austerity measures being taken and many reports and images can be found on the internet. It was bound to attract the most people and perhaps it helped that it took place seemingly in the evening into the late hours. Such events were being staged in a number of countries including Australia and the US.
 
Our own  little stand was on a local basis and aimed at the nearest authority we had which was a Town Council. To be fair their cutbacks are because of cuts further up the chain which is the County Council and they are affected by central government and their policies.
 
Our little event was peaceful, good natured, nice people, mostly quiet except for a few songs and simple slogans...one being "They say cut back, we say fight back!"
 
 
National Peoples Assembly Meeting in Darlington outside the town hall November 5th 2013

Symbolically Papers With The Names Of Various Services Being Cut Were Burned.
 
 

Sign at National Peoples Assembly meeting outside Darlington Town Hall November 5th 2013


A Sign At Yesterday's Demonstration At Darlington Town Hall. 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand exactly what austerity measures you are having to endure? You seem to have a pleasant enough life?

6 November 2013 at 11:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Front line services are being cut for many(or shall we say)even those who are managing will see their current standards drop.

Many of the cuts have not been felt as they are being phased in. You don't just think of yourself.

Its not a race to the bottom but a case of trying to bring others up to an acceptable level.

What is an acceptable level is difficult as people will always want more but I would say simplistically it is to afford to be warm, eat well and have something to look forward to.

I worry more about the cuts to services like the NHS, schools, emergency services and the like which many will be affected by directly/indirectly.

I have a reasonable life to some extent by being economical and redirecting income from one place to another or being careful what I spend money on and because being frugal I now have fewer things I want/need to buy.

What I have will have to last for years and there will be lots of make and mend. And following the tips that many charities put out.

I'm not pleading that I am any worse or better off than anyone else, a special case.

6 November 2013 at 12:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Today I have had to rest and am fatigied so from my own situation it is my health issues that affect me the most.

I sometimes try to do too much or forget I cannot do what I once was able to.

The following article seems fair regarding the little event I refer to if you cut/paste the link.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10786193.Protestors_fight_austerity_measures_as_town_s_council_announces_more_possible_cuts/?ref=rl

It was peaceful which some of the larger events were not and never can guarentee to be.

There has been concern that the photo taken by the newspaper was not used but it did appear and is similar to the one I took but the text is the same as featured on the above link.

6 November 2013 at 14:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home