My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Bit Wet, Bit Cold But Milder Than Yesterday...

I felt like turning over and going to sleep but I promised publicly to attend some of the marches taking place today and also if I don't I feel I am letting myself down.

I have nothing other than myself to take along.

It may seem a strange meal to start the day but it is fuel and will keep me warm so I had some of my beef casserole from the slow cooker which was very good if I say so myself.

Just when you think you've saved some money for an emergency and I plan to spend only approx. £3 today for some raffle tickets and a small drink at the music club tonight the cable that joins my power pack to the laptop has given up. The power unit is alright but the cable has become weak and only works in certain positions and you have to buy the whole unit. I have no idea what its going to cost but it has to be done. So I'll call before I go onto the march, the bus stop is close by.

I have to shave and wash and be away in the next few minutes. Debating whether to grow a moustache for November as part of the campaign to raise awareness of the prostate cancer campaign for men but how many will realise why I have done so unless someone asks why I suddenly have one. The campaign is known as Movember.

So many campaigns really are best known in certain circles of the media. If I was wearing one of those coloured ribbon bows in a lapel or a poppy it would be known immediately.

Update:The first march thanks to a bus driver leaving just before I boarded the bus meant I arrived a little late but I reckon the number was small. I was handed a little flag to wave. I went on to the second march and almost came home as it looked as though it was just going to be me but gave it a chance and we managed approx. 30 people. Who were all very nice and sociable. We may get some coverage in the local newspaper tomorrow.

We've already discovered another library and a railway museum will close early next year unless someone else is prepared to take on the job and within the next 5 years another £25Million is being cut and another 700 jobs lost.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Floss said...

£25m & 700 jobs over 5 years? That’s shocking, but better than my employers - £14m this year, £15.6m next financial year, plus an estimated £16m the year after, with 400/10% jobs to go this year and at least the same again next year. And our council’s patch has some of the highest areas of deprivation in the country.

6 November 2013 at 09:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes Floss, I guess its bad across many professions and the UK its not exclusive to one area.

I shoud make it clear the 700 jobs being lost will happen quicker than the five years to save the £25million. So very similar to the situation you mention.

I wish you well as you are obviously at risk personally as are many of your colleages and it sounds as though you are in a job that has contact with the public and could be essential.

6 November 2013 at 11:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home