My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Big Chris Barber Band...

Wow! What a night. Ten on stage, many able to play a variety of instruments and genres of music, some well known pieces but some carefully chosen but unknown/rarely heard pieces.

Practically two hours of music that flew by.

Chris is a people person and I rarely say this of many performers but he is a gentleman. He lets his music speak for itself and I hate going on about age but he really is amazing, his memory only let him down a couple of times(mainly song titles)but you can see that the members of his band and the audience hold him in great affection and look after him. Mind he's as sharp as a button and he really can play the trombone, he still sings and even played the bass. Heck who doesn't have those momentary lapses, I know that I do.

All of the ensemble are at the top of their game and they played with no musical scores in front of them.

Hard to believe Chris is eighty three years old, it is obvious that music has kept him young at heart and been his life...sixty four years in the business.

You really know when you are hearing musicians at the top of their profession. They probably play in a number of bands around the world and do session work but you can see how much they are enjoying the music and each others company. I am so sorry that it has taken me over 50 years to see him. But I am fortunate that I have. He's booked to appear at Durham's Gala theatre in May next year.

I am now rediscovering a wealth of his music thanks to the internet and there is a lot too, which is fine by me.

He let me take a photo of him and I'm quite happy with it and I did not want to overstay my request by asking for a couple but when I caught him he had no one around him. You can see the openness in his face.

The great Chris Barber before a wonderful concert at Darlington Civic Theatre yesterday evening. Try and see him.

All being well, I'm there again on Wednesday and I am told its going to be a great night and probably will not finish until 11pm so it may a taxi job unless I can get to my stop for 11.15pm.

 I wish I knew someone who was going and I could share the cost of their petrol or a taxi fare but it is difficult to find people, perhaps it will happen one day.

I was talking to someone at the bus stop tonight and it looks as though they had put extra buses on between 10.45-11.15pm the night I was at Durham Lumiere but there was no one ask, nothing on the electronic departure boards and the printed schedule still said the last bus was 10.15pm and it will be so for the foreseeable future. But just maybe I could have avoided paying for that taxi after all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, Gildy, you just have to suck it up, regarding the price of a taxi and balance it against the happy time and fun you had at the event. :) I know it's a lot of money, but then think of the evening you had as priceless in terms of enjoyment and maybe put things into perspective that way? It's what I do. :)

It is fun meeting the singers from past decades, isn't it. Last year I met Englebert Humperdink, and for 76, he looks great!

N x

19 November 2013 at 21:43  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Think you are right regarding accepting such things...I was fortunate that I was able to afford to get home safely and its the memories as you suggest. I am able to because I am frugal in other ways.

It is fun meeting singers you have followed for years and most are still great and usually are more likely to give their time.

I would meet/take more images at the end of a show if I was not rushing off for a bus. It was good that Chris was there for us when we arrived.

I am told that tomorrow is going to be something special.

19 November 2013 at 23:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home