My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Rediscovered...

I keep saying I'm not into poetry etc...and its been some time since I read a book but I realise how much I love the English language and how it brings to my life.

I listen to a lot of speech radio and really value BBC Radio 4.

If I don't know that much poetry its probably because there seems to be very little of it performed locally. Or perhaps its in my soul and i've grown up with it and I know more than I realise.

And yet earlier this year I went to the theatre in Durham and had a wonderful night which flew by all too quickly with Pam Ayres.

And I have rediscovered Ian McMillan who I mainly know for a wonderful series of documentaries on radio. he's my kind of poet in so many ways. Well, all round broadcaster.

Now I have found out he is to appear in Barnard Castle in a couple of weeks. There are tickets available. I can get there reasonably easily. At a push I could possibly ask if I could stay overnight in Barney as my last Auntie and Uncle live in the town. But if I don't go down that route the last bus back my way is around 9.30pm and I guess the show could run until 10pm so I'd have to arrange a taxi and the last time I did that it came in at around £25-£30. Added to the price of the ticket that makes it a very expensive night.

I now wonder how often I may have missed Iain over the years and have to hope that just maybe he'll play nearer to where I live sometime such as Durham, Darlington etc...because I fear that too many venues around here would still be difficult because of public transport and taxi fares would be similar. Not so bad if you can share the fare but on your own...

He's co written a great humorous book about the hat most associated with Yorkshire. The flat cap(all made up)its really funny. he was interviewed on BBC Radio York and I tweeted in under my persona and was mentioned, it was kind of a thrill even if it was not my real name. They liked my name and were kind about my Tweet. I said "Fantatic...that made me smile. Its taken me 55 years but I got my first cap a month ago"

I'll hunt it out later and record it. May see if I can post it on audioboo if that's allowed.

101 Uses For A Flat Cap

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home