My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Alnwick Food Festival 2013


 Perhaps the last big Food Festival of the year in Alnwick Northumberland took place over the weekend. Amazingly it is into its 9th year. The big 10 next year. Unless something unexpected happens I will be there. Yes it was a fair journey to make from my part of the North East but praise where its due, during the day all my buses ran to time and connected with not much hanging around in bus stations between the change overs. It must be over thirty years since I was last in Alnwick(I say that)perhaps it was Berwick on Tweed...I have no one I am able to ask.
 
It was well organised. A big range of products and local food producers. We had some that for various reasons are unable to travel to my part of the North East and also it bridged the gap in that for me to reach them is just a little too far.
 
I already realise that I have missed some great food and will have to put that right hopefully next year and give more publicity I want local to succeed. I still wonder if I can launch that foodie blog that I would like to.
 
So first off I met these two lovely ladies, both sisters, Jane Slater and Fiona Woodcock and have running a great luxury cake company since 2008 with that home made feel but saving someone like me the bother of making them and cooking them.  The Cakeroot Company 
 

My first purchase of the day and I treated myself to some cake @AlnwickFoodFest from The Cake Root Stall http://www.thecakeroot.co.uk/ a local food producer. Spoilt for choice.and kept in the family.
 
I was spoilt for choice and though I love cake I must admit it has been a long, long time since I attempted to make my own or purchased any but I could not resist and I really do believe(a little of what you fancy does you good)
 
And just look at what I came home with...

 
http://yfrog.com/5ipx59j 
Lovely cakes from @AlnwickFoodFest and The Root Cake Company
 
 
Yes, I decided on a Lemon Drizzle cake but how unusual is this...you've heard of carrot cake well in the selection above is a Chocolate, Orange and Potato cake and a Parsnip, Lime and Ginger cake.
 
 If money and space in the fridge/freezer allowed I probably would have come home with more...an excuse to visit again. All these businesses need supporting but hopefully after six years we can say The Cake Root Company is doing something right.
 
I found a stall selling a variety of scones with flavours I would never have thought of...an example? A mushroom scone. Sadly I did not manage to find out their name but they were selling a lot of items and I treated myself to two. One is Raspberry and Apple and the other Cheese and Bacon. 
 
 
And now of course I come to my friend Liz AKA the Gingerbread Mam. Its always good to see her and her family and I appreciate the kindness and friendship I have been shown. In a way I have been adopted. As busy as they are they always find time for me. I know only too well how much time and effort goes into the business.
 
Emotionally and cost wise. There's the travelling and keeping up the quality of what you sell, coming up with new ideas to keep the range on offer fresh, the adapting of produce for the different seasons. And all  the health/safety and accounts to be kept to please the Government. None of these local producers have it easy. In many ways whilst you have to take public safety as important some of what I hear would put some off and the restrictions can mean some new products have to be shelved.
 
I purchased some Gingerbread and Ginger shortcake(looking forward to thateating cookie emoticon)and yes as you can see over the weekend at the Alnwick Food Festival there were Gingerbread Men/Woman decorating classes(and yes I had a go too)You can see some images below. And some of the results. We asked permission for the images to be shown but its sad that an innocent bit of fun means being careful(that's why I took the images in the way I have)but we've lost the proud look on the faces of those who took part.
 

http://yfrog.com/jmwbd9j Gingerbread Mam's classes on how to decorate GB Men and Women @AlnwickFootFest 2013 @gingerpokey

 
 
At @AlnwickFoodFest. GingerBread Mam gave  the chance to decorate their own GB Man. Permission given to upload images but we have had to be careful. It would have been nice to show the joy at their work.
 
 
The creativity of those who took part in The Gingerbread Mam's decorating classes at @AlnwickFoodFest A big success...@gingerpokey
 

My attempt at decorating a Gingerbread Man at Alnwick Food Festival and a professional version on the right as if you did not know :o)

My own version of a Gingerbread Man and the professional one on the right. I love that catchphrase on the products of "Home made, Mam made"
 
There were cooking demonstrations too and offering his support again to the event was the well known tv chef Jean Christophie Novelli(He's French...in case you had not guessed.) 
 
 
Made it to @AlnwickFoodFest yesterday. One of the best. Blessed with the weather too. As I was having a rest the local press turned up to do a photo shoot with this guy...Jean Christophe Novelli.
 
 
A great weekend with lots of good memories. A lovely day out for myself. Thanks to those who attended and made it a success and those who organised it and for keeping it a free event.

3 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Glad you've been able to get out and about so much recently, Gildy.
I've been reading about skinny dippers at Druridge Bay. I hope you didn't join them . . . . Well, not without your scarf and gloves! :-)

23 September 2013 at 12:38  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Lovely to hear from you again VQ, thanks for popping by...just added the text after you posted(I think)

I think I saw that about the Skinny Dipping :o)I have not succumbed to that just yet...I think I would try just about anything these days...

23 September 2013 at 13:32  
Anonymous VQ said...

I keep an eye on you all the time, Gildy.
It's just that I don't often have anything to say. x

23 September 2013 at 22:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home