My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, June 08, 2013

Darlington Celebrates The 150th Anniversary Of The Covered In Market...


I did not get the chance to actually go around the building that was being celebrated and that is a pity but I did manage to look around the extra entertainment laid on in the town's market place. It was ok but as happens too often I was a little disappointed. However, here a few images of the day...I only stayed approx two hours.
 
Many of those involved were dressed were dressed in Victorian costumes to acknowledge the time the market was built.
 
There was the following lady who told stories.
 
 
 
 
The folowing duo I only came across towards  the end of their performance and wish I had seen much more of them, they were friendly and funny. They had an act but were so willing to interact with the public and have their photo's taken.
 




Quite a few were willing to get up on the Penny Farthing bike.
 
 
 
Here the Darlington Operatic Society performs.
 

 
There was a Punch and Judy show, all the traditional characters and storyline but brought up to date. Frighteningly approx 50 years ago this performers Father was working with my dad and when not doing "The Day Job" was giving Punch and Judy shows and did one in my home on my Birthday.

 
Ten out of ten for trying for this duo but they were very quiet and with no help to amplify their voices it was difficult to hear them. I knew most of the songs they were singing.

 
There was the traditional Jumping Horses and it probably costs a fair bit to transport/erect the ride, maintain it etc...but to be honest £2.50 seemed a bit expensive and it was a very short ride. There were some sugar boats too.

 
Plenty of people were ready to part with £4 for an Ox sandwich but again that was a little steep for me.


If I can get them posted I have a few videos of some of  the attractions at the event which I'll put up in the next blog entry but for those who are unable to watch videos I thought I'd put the still images up first.

Update:This event took place over two days and the impression is that many more street performances took place on the first day to what I witnessed and I found some Facebook links that has images in three albums so if you'd like to see much more please click on the highlighted links.

These beat the images I have posted and there are more than I could post on my own blog...

4 Comments:

Blogger markdebby said...

Hi, you are great with your camera now. All those lovely photos.
I know you have lost your keys. I have lost my sun hat and can't find it anywhere.

9 June 2013 at 23:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Of course you can and thank you. I watched quite a lot of what you did on the day :o) I'm glad that you did not mind me posting it. Can you remember there was another great image(perhaps the same lady?)where she persuaded the street performers to share in an image.

So there was you, her and them. I missed most of their act sadly as they were v good but coming to the end of their time there.

I'm a little concerned that I have published your post and your e-mail address is on show so I am going to re-arrange things and remove it. I published before realising...

23 June 2013 at 23:46  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

David Aston said...
Lovely photo of the brave lady on my Penny Farthing. Could I have permission to use this image on my forthcoming website? (hoping to get a few more of these events) If so, who should I credit?
Many thanks, David Aston

23 June 2013 at 23:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You can have it for free and as far as I am concerned I don't mind not being credited.

You may be able to lift it(copy)from the blog but I don't mind e-mailing it to you directly as an attachment.

I am also happy to link to your site and give publicity any time. I very much believe in promoting local enterprise(I'm into helping local food producers where possible too)

Its become a passion and given me a purpose during difficult times recently.

I have saved your e-mail address :o)

I hope that I was fair in my report of the event. Next time I can go into more detail and it may be better as organisers will look at what worked and what perhaps did not. I dislike being critical.

23 June 2013 at 23:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home