My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

It's Official...

I had a day out which was enjoyable but came home a few minutes ago to be greeted with a letter from the pair who called from the HA on Wednesday to be told that I have had an official warning on my tenancy which I was not told when they called. And its kind of killed my positive attitude somewhat.

Even though I explained I was in the middle of clearing rubbish etc...and I can only get rid of it in stages because the wheelie bins are emptied alternate weeks.

Within an hour or so the kitchen was tidy and had they not called that day it would not have been like it was, it isn't now.

I've have cleared stuff in a bedroom that was not untidy or included in their visit so I have thrown out even more items. The bathroom is almost clear too. I suspect they had a right discussion when they got into their car and out of earshot.

I told you that they mentioned the books(but they haven't mentioned them in the letter)now they've mentioned wires being tangled which they are not nor are they on show but you can't fall over them because they are not across any carpet. Electric cable certainly isn't so fire risk. They are also connected to special electrical socket things that stop surges of power or equipment being affec ted by lightening strikes.

The letter goes on to explain parts of the tenancy that I have to abide by and most of it does not apply to me...

Such as "Any furniture, appliances, carpets or curtains provided by them must be kept in good condition and not be removed and they will charge for any repairs or replacement."

"I must dispose of rubbish properly in line with the councils requirements and this include bulky/unusual items."

I do that already and always have."

"I must put the wheelie bin and recycling containers out only on the day of the collection and replace within the boundary of my home as soon as possible after the rubbish has been collected"

I do that.

Remember the three points above were not discussed on the visit and he said the garden and where the bins are were fine.

"I must report the presence in my home the presence of rats, cockroaches and other vermin or pests to the council" I would but there isn't any.

"I must keep the garden tidy and free from rubbish and debris otherwise they may clear it and chage for this"

"I must keep all gullies, entrances to drains, external airbricks and vents clear and free from obstruction" They are. And it was earlier in the year I reported a blocked gutter and had it cleared.

The silliest point of all is that "I must obtain written consent before putting up or taking down any fence or wall. As it becomes their property and must not be removed"

There were no fences before we put them up and they have only ever been replaced if damaged by the weather(ie:Winds)

And most people I am sure would just replace like for like and if it is done by say me and by calling in the appropriate builder I am saving them money. And the only fences are alongside the garden and offer protection/security. And any changes were done by the new neighbours who removed some of our fencing on their side and also errected a small wall and their own fencing so I'd like to see how that becomes my HA's property.

I think that they have been heavy handed and unfair.

He ends by saying if I wish to discuss the contents of the letter further I can phone him. I'll wait until he calls on May 24th but may seek legal advice in the meantime.

I'm not a hoarder and he never said I would be receiving such a letter when he left. Just that it would be to arrange a follow up visit with a date that he would call again.

Virtually nothing of the above was said to me on the day and he kept saying I know you are going through a difficult period and that they were only concerned that I may need help and it was for my concern. This letter sounds anything but.

3 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

You could do without this, couldn't you, Gildy?
They probably send out a standard letter to cover everyone and everything. That's why most of it doesn't apply to you.
It might set your mind at rest to call into the Citizens Advice Bureau with the letter.
Forewarned is forearmed.

11 May 2013 at 20:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Someone has suggested that I contact Shelter for advice...

11 May 2013 at 20:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Gildy, for goodness sake! Why can't these people just leave you alone! :o/

I will give you the very best piece of advice I possibly can. This is thirty-years of experience with dealing with government, business, employees, etc... speaking here...


1. Keep copies of EVERYTHING sent to you.

2. Always, always, always respond to this sort of thing in writing referring to the dates, times and names of the people you've dealt with whenever possible.

3. Write a first draft and put all your anger, disappointment, fear...all the emotions...in that one. This is cathartic and will help you to no end!

Then write a second draft and take all of the emotion and extraneous stuff out. Pare it down to the essential information, questions, requests, etc... You may even want to do a third to polish it up.

4. When you mail this, make sure you send it so there will be proof that they received it (here it's called Certified Mail). This costs a little bit, but trust me it's well worth the price.

People can deny what they've/you've said on the phone, or in person but when faced with a copy of a letter and the receipt that they did in fact receive it, it's much harder to do.

They will also tend to respond in kind with a letter and will be much more likely to be above board with what they write.

5. Get yourself a file folder (if you don't already have one) and put EVERYTHING in it for future use.

Whenever possible, attach the letters and the corresponding receipts together, and put them in order of occurrence.

I know this sounds like a pain in the rear...and it is...but you'll be glad you have proof of these things at some point.

If for no other reason than to prove you're not crazy when they try and deny what they've told you.

These procedures have saved my butt more than once, and I really hope you consider them.

I think the idea of consulting an advocate of some kind (even two or three) would be an excellent.

Knowledge is power, and the more you know the better you can fight your corner.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this just when you're feeling so good...but such is life, I suppose.

Good luck, my friend.

Jan :o)

16 May 2013 at 11:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home