My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

It Was Good, It Was Bad...

I awoke later than planned and managed to misplace my ticket for tonight's concert. It turned up where I had already looked

Made it to the bus stop as a bus arrived and though slightly late still planned to see Nigel Farage in  the market place in Durham.

I made the effort but to be honest I was struggling and so slow, I thought this is silly especially as I have to do the same thing to get back to the bus station to carry on the rest of my plans. So I gave up on that idea and boarded a bus to Newcastle and the protest against the Bedroom Tax, well cuts in general.

Quite a good turnout and at least I was not on my own this time.

I returned to Newcastle after a gap of around 30 years. All the big names are there but to be honest I won't be in a hurry to return except I quite fancy getting down the quayside and the newest bridge that was built but its been there for years but I haven't seen it up close or walked across it. And it does get you quite close to iconic arts centre in Gateshead "The Sage" I got a glimpse of that for the first time too(from a distance)

When a child every visit to Newcastle we would go into three big departmental stores...Binns, Bainbridges and Fenwicks. I believe Binns is no longer in the city, Bainbridges moved but became John Lewis but for old time sake I went into Fenwicks today. Naturally it has changed and but for the name on the outside it could be any shop these days. Its all sectioned into franchises and well known names taking floor space.

Its not Fenwicks doing the choosing of clothes and goods that made it special and exclusive. So there was nothing familiar to connect me to the past.

I always came home with a little gift on these special trips when a child, often a record, I remember JG Windows(That's still there)and coming home with the single "The Laughing Gnome" by David Bowie.

Well, how your idea of a gift changes I purchased something that was un-necessary but just to say I was going home with a little treat. A silicone egg ring worth £3 with 20% discount offer so it came down to £2.40. Anyone unsure what that is, you put it in the frying pan, pour an egg in it and it makes the fried a nice tidy shape.

To do twenty eight mile by bus took approx a hundred and five minutes, I had to change buses. The connections were reasonably good.

What surprised me was...I have only ever seen the statue/monument from a distance for perhaps a minute and I always believed it was in "The Middle Of Nowhere" but  5-6 minutes out of Durham there it was, virtually next to a road, the bus and near houses. And there is a bus stop so perhaps I'll make a return trip and take a photo and experience up close which perhaps will endear it to me because though clever. I have never really liked it.

Most people standing up close today seemed to reach the height of its feet. So if that's around 5-6 feet in measurement you can guess the scale of the "Angel"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home