My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, April 05, 2013

It Turned Out A Busier Day Than Planned...

The day started in a slight panic as I forgot that I wanted to make an appointment to see my Dr but I succeeded in getting through on the phone.

I did not go out until around 2.05pm and had to wait twenty minutes for a bus, they've reduced the service.

I managed to get concessions on some tickets for some shows I wish to see in the next few months(£6 is a saving and welcome)they don't usually give me it but I guess it depends who you see...I wasn't going to say no when offered.

By chance and not in the latest brochure of events there is a tribute band playing the music of The Beatles. Only discovered it because a flyer was in the window of the pet shop on my town. Whilst waiting for the bus to go and buy the tickets I had planned I went to the post office rather than sit at the bus stop in the cold for twenty minutes. So that meant I was able to get that at the same time as the others.

I had a big shop in one of those £1 shop(spent £13)but they are all things that I can use and the saving on the tickets meant it was though my shop had only cost £8. And of course I saved the travel costs with my pass. As I came out of the shop a bus was pulling up at the bus stop was I was able to come home without waiting.

What did I buy? Was it good value? Well...

Two items I have somewhere in my home already and cannot find them(You watch, I will now)
So they were a corkscrew/bottle opener and a vegetable peeler(but this time there were two peelers of different designs to suit what you are peeling)The rest of my shop was:
A Cooling Rack
250 Food Bags
8pc Measuring set and jug
A dry food container
Cooking liner which may protect and avoid me having to use a lot of oil to cook with
6 mugshots(a kind of snack that you make in a mug)I have purchased chicken noodle and sweet and sour noodle
8 food storage containers for the fridge/freezer or to use in the microwave(the same ones I purchased a few weeks ago elsewhere)were only 6 for the same money
A juice container with pouring spout and lid that locks down
And just because they were there and compared to others I have seen in other shops were quite cheap, I purchased two mushroom growing kits(they say you'll get quite a few crops and...if left they will grow bigger.

It wasn't worth struggling home and going out again so I made my way to the Dr's surgery...up against the clock but he was running late. He is happy with my progress on the anti depressants...he reckons that they take up to three months to kick in and we are talking of a six month course.

I asked a few questions I always forget to ask and having kidney disease it has increased my chances of a heart attack due to raised blood pressure(I do take tablets for that)and having slightly higher cholesterol, he's trying me on statins. Diet makes little difference it seems though I eat healthily most of the time.

Without the KD my rating would be well under the risk factor. I am around 22% risk. He says if they are not for me...he can take me off them again and everything will return to as I am now...

I have to have a blood test in a month to check my liver is ok and the cholesterol. That's around 5. That's the total cholesterol, that does not tell me how much is the good or bad.

So that's another drug to take. He is a good Dr, I have a good relationship over many years and I should trust his judgement but am going to contact my consultant on Monday as side effects can cause kidney damage and I don't want to make that worse as things are ticking over reasonably well.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might be interested in two guests that were on The Dr. Oz Show the other day. (Dr. Oz is a cardiovascular surgeon who was on Oprah Winfrey and was so popular and requested so much they finally gave him his own show)

The two doctors have studied cholesterol and written a book that may change the way physicians view high cholesterol. What they had to say was very interesting and made a lot of sense to me. You might be interested in reading a little more about it. An informed patient is always more likely to get the best care.


http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/cholesterol-facts-vs-myths


Jan :o)

24 April 2013 at 07:26  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Its funny how those who how can I put this, have difficulties seem to take to me...I now have a person who seeks me out if I attend the local shows in the town hall(he manages very well)but has learning difficulties(and is almost 34 years younger than me)and another is 7 years older and admits to not being able to read and write.

But again obviously is in need of some social contact.

As for getting out I have been invited/asked if I want to go to another kind of club on the town...on Sundays. So if getting out is difficult with buses and weather is bad its another option.

Its £1 to get in(probably have to buy a drink)there is a small game of bingo and a quiz and a singer at the start of the night and towards the end again...

Its my favourite night on the radio but if my radio and computer does not let me down I can record that and listen later...

Me playing bingo :o)

24 April 2013 at 07:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Jan, That seems to make sense to me and thanks for the link.

My Dr who suggested the Statins said diet makes little difference to my health condition. But when he did the computer programme I was at 12% risk of a heart attack...they like it to be under 10%.

My cholesterol is around 5, again he'd like it under that. But as said my Consultant said "Don't take the statins" and there is a good cholesterol as well as bad perhaps I have more of the good?

I don't eat much sugar, my diet is mainly fish, chicken, vegetables, occasional fruit. I can go for days/weeks without chocolate and I don't add sugar to cereal, tea and coffee and in the last two I have switched to a substitute sweetner.

A dessert is a treat...I can't do any more...

24 April 2013 at 07:51  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thinking about it 12% is not ideal but we're at present talking of only being 2% over...if that changes I can look at it again...The Statins probably would work but as kidneys and liver can be affected I'll pass for now.

24 April 2013 at 08:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I recall, they spoke about statins on that show as well. Their take on them, I believe, is to avoid them if at all possible. So I think your instincts are right.

The cholesterol thing is what I have, the bad is slightly high, but the good is off the charts! :o)

Jan

25 April 2013 at 09:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home