My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

I've Been Twittering...

Is that the correct term?

Sorry to say mainly "Banging My Drum" as my friend and commenter Span Ows would say *:) happybut it has kept me informed more immediately about what is going on with all the changes coming in that will likely as not affect me and many.

I know that you have to be careful where you source information from but I am as sure as I can be.

It is my way of also checking when the next protest of a political nature will take place.

I am still me and I haven't changed that much. I hope I haven't because I quite like myself. I am comfortable in my own skin. I am quite happy in my own company. Another friend of mine who comments on my blog once said to me there are advantages to living alone in that you "Are able to do what you wish to" and there is a lot of truth in that. Selfishly, my main concerns and this will make me sound shallow(but I will take a big risk)and say I bet many think about such things too...

Getting older, mortality and losing independence ending up in care in a home without personal possessions and most of us not in the best of homes because how many of us are that financially sound that we have access to the best food, a spacious room and perhaps access to a reasonable view/garden?*:( sad

These thoughts are only a problem if they stay at the forefront and dominate, if you are able to let them go then I'd say it is part of our make up.

I have admitted that I am on a mild anti-depressant. For all I know it could be a placebo and by me believing it is helping...it is but it is me doing most of the work. It probably still is, even if a genuine drug.

Even before I took medication most of the time I was doing fine but I think that they have helped take the edge off my worries so when some thoughts do come into my mind I don't get that knotted feeling in the stomach or that panicky feeling. Most of the time. I don't feel fuzzy or not in control.

My Dr is on holiday next week so I am going to see him a few days earlier than I should so I don't see another not so familiar with me and I suspect that I will have to complete a course. Whether the dosage needs increasing I am unsure. I will discuss with my Dr.

I guess whilst I cannot travel as much as I would like(even with a bus pass)because of mobility, it is being hindered by the lack of bus routes and the frequency of what is available.

Here's a typical dilemma the last bus from a neighbouring town starts its journey officially at 22.59 but the bus pass stops being accepted at 23.00 so if it leaves late it is no longer valid*X( angryIf you use a bus before 9.30am you contribute to the cost of the journey so I don't understand why that could not be brought in for the end of the day or as it is the last one of the night it would be valid. The buses on another route leave between 22.35 and 22.45 which allows a little bit of slack. So if they could bring that last bus forward even by five minutes it would make a difference.

So though welcome and I hope that I can hang onto it, the times I need it the most makes it in many ways more difficult to use.

In the day time we only have four bus routes that pass through my town, that drops to two after 6pm and yet either side of my town or further north or south in the county many more services are available and connect to other places...

Must make it difficult for anyone who works and has to depend on public transport. It can't help businesses that depend on customers at night like restuarants, theatres and cinemas(if you can afford to go out in the first place)

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy. I agree entirely about local transport. I have mostly been driver but since moving back to the UK I am using more trains and buses and renting cars when I have to rather than fork out for my own car. Anyway, the trains, in my limited experience, have been superb, probably 95-97.5% on time and - maybe surprisingly - often overcrowded. The buses however are over expensive and just to get my daughter and I into town (less than a 2 miles) is a fiver and nearly a tenner for return...only just more economic than the same journey in a cab, which of course would be door to door and avoid the walk to the bus stop etc. The bus route I take is a main road so often I can get the much rarer bigger buses that are bringing people from the surrounding villages etc, these are cheaper but of course very few and far between so I sympathise with your predicament.

4 April 2013 at 10:53  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.S, thanks for the mention! :-)

...and hope your tweets don't make you a twit. One of my sons uses it all the time to communicate with friends rather than 'follow' sleb twats.

4 April 2013 at 10:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Last night was a case in point...missed the last bus that I could use my bus pass(why they stop at 11pm who knows)there is only one more bus on that route. Its not peak travelling time.

But luckily there was a final one at 23.15 and it was cheaper than a taxi but nearly £5. And though that route is usally 19 miles from end to end it drops off the last 7 miles.

Thankfully it does come to my town.

Yet it still completes the whole route without picking anyone up along the way.

In the opposite direction the bus drops off the last passengers at the same place and drops off 12 miles but it does not come to my town if it did, only 7 miles would be lost.

The town it terminates is not even what could be classed a major town.

The 24/7 lifestyle is not in this area unless you count an odd factory working a nightshift or the NHS.

TBH the area is dead. The reasons I can't decide. If it is a lack of money so places close early or that people would go out but because the businesses close early and the bus services are poor people don't bother.

4 April 2013 at 12:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home