My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

What Have I Been Doing In The Last Few Days?

If you are interested, thank you for asking.

Firstly, I managed to see a show booked some time ago. Celebrating is perhaps the wrong word but it is the 50th Anniversary since Patsy Cline(Country Singer)was killed in a plane accident. This is a bit morbid but this link takes you to a site that lists the many "Famous" who have lost their lives in aviation crashes. But then again the same has happened in vehicle accidents.

The concert I saw was just into its fourth date and we were given a potted biography of Patsy's life but it was mostly a selection of the songs she was known for and possibly some lesser known ones but I suspect many in the audience knew most of those too. I knew most of the songs but did not always realise they were sung by Patsy or associated with her. And best part of the audience joined in and were encouraged to.

Sandy Kelly was the vocalist who took on the role but again an artist new to me but with a long and successful career behind her. Mainly in Ireland it would appear but even reaching the temple of Country Music The Grand Ole Opry. With its popularity as a place where country stars have appeared for and the following Country has worldwide I am more than surprised that it has not been followed in the UK or is it just that I am out of touch. It started in 1925 as a local radio show but is so much more.

And guess what? It appears all these years it has been continually carried on radio and I now discover you can listen live on line or listen to an archive of shows from the last few years via the WSM radio website where they play all kinds of Country music 24/7. Live WSM Radio Stream. The presentation is very easy and laid back, the DJ's knowledgeable. And the sound quality too(and is in stereo)which as in the States it broadcasts on AM is probably an advantage as an online listener.

So now that I know this I will be dipping into what they offer quite often I suspect as long as I have access to the internet and can afford to stay connected.

Anyhow I digress...the other performer on this concert in homage to Patsy Cline knew her and has been performing for over 50 years and is a member of the Grand Ole Opry and I was as excited to see him as much as Sandy. He had personality and was still able to deliver. He sang many of his hits and yes gave out some Baby Ruths to the audience.

Well I think the idea was to give one out after singing his hit "A Rose And A Baby Ruth" but as someone was celebrating their birthday they were going to get one too after the show. A Baby Ruth is an American chocoate bar. Any idea who? George Hamilton IV. I'd have liked to have met them after the show but when you have to depend on public transport and you are down to the last bus you have to be away quite sharpish.

Tonight it is a show of performers from the 1960's Wayne Fontana, Dave Berry, The Merseybeats, The Amen Corner and the once lead singer of The Searcher, Mike Pender.


4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Can I make a suggestion? With all the shows and music etc you go to see I would stop taking the anti-depressants, no matter how mild they are, you do not sound like you need them. Maybe you feel down when you're home alone, especially in the winter, but I would ask your GP, they are so over used and over prescribed.

4 April 2013 at 10:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think my Dr is pretty hot on trying to avoid giving them out and I suspect when I have had what is considered the right amount of time for a course I will be tken off them.

I suspect it is the worry of what the next year or two may bring and the anniversary has come around again...

Not sure how long I can keep up the shows as income reduces and it does mean cutting back on other things that could be seen as more essential such as food and heating even keeping a roof over my head.

But you need something to keep body and soul intact.

4 April 2013 at 12:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you've discovered The Grand Ole Opry and enjoy it! :o)

Yes, it's been around for a really long time and is as you say a sort of "temple" for Country music.

You can find some of the older shows online, as well as the newer ones, Gildy.

As for your meds, Span is right they those meds are over-prescribed, but they are also very helpful in many cases.

I know how you struggled over the decision to take them. From everything I've read, it sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on you situation. And if your doctor isn't a pill-happy kinda guy I'm sure you'll both be monitoring your progress and usage very carefully.

I'm really pleased your doing so well.

Jan :o)

24 April 2013 at 06:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

As you'll see Jan later on, I was more concerned with the taking of Statins...the AD's are a doddle and I feel in charge and not a zombie so must be taking the right dose and drug that suits me...

I feel like me again...

24 April 2013 at 06:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home