My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Have Been So Good At Rationing The

use and cost of electric and the gas central heating but that means I really am tight. It has been very cold lately so I have been under the duvet and made use of my electric blanket and allowed the heating to go on for one extra hour.

I submitted meter readings earlier today and that extra hour and I assume the electric blanket my usage of both has doubled!

I am really careful but if this is so...

Right! Back to wearing more clothes indoors and for bed...hot water bottles(though boiling a kettle can be costly too)

You can't win...even if you stop, you have to pay the standing charge.

Update:Had to find an extra £31.50($47.74)on top of what I pay normally pay monthly. The lady at the call centre said "Well you'll probably use less in the summer and hopefully prices will come down!"

How much less could I use than I do already? I don't have the heating on most days, I have to put the gas on to get hot water for washing myself or the dishes. And when did the cost of energy ever come down? And the same for the electric without the electric blanket on(that will be used sparingly from now on)I use one light, one PC, fridge/freezer and occasionally the washing machine and that all costs too much.

The standing charges do it. If I paid only for the energy I use my bills could be halved and that would save money or I could spend what I do now and have more benefit from them.

The Government keep telling us that because they are introducing green policies and due to taxes on energy that penalise carbon emissions, prices will continue to increase(these charges are passed onto us)not absorbed by the energy suppliers and any chance of cheaper energy is 10-15 years away. But in the meantime the costs will continue to increase. By then I'll be a pensioner and on a fixed income so will I be any better off, its not likely.

And who believes cheap energy is coming?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your energy supplier doesn't have energy audits for your home?

We have them here and they will also either pay for or help your pay for things like: weatherstripping, broken windows, new refrigerators, insulation, etc...

We also have programs to help the poor and medically dependent on cool/warm air or with medical equipment to pay their bills or at least discount their bills.

I thought most companies had that sort of thing now, but it may be different over there. It might be worth checking out.

Jan

27 March 2013 at 09:29  
Anonymous VQ said...

I am dreading my gas bill for this quarter. However, even though I have tried to be very careful, I refuse to be cold so I have had the heating on.
To compensate, I have been looking around to see where I can make savings elsewhere.
I received my water bill and found that water for the coming year would cost me almost £400. That's a lot of money. I spoke to a neighbour who has a young family and uses her washing machine and dishwasher at least once a day and often twice. She has a water meter and her bill for last year was £262. Mine would be far less than that so I have applied for a water meter too.
Now I'm looking for other ways of saving money.
We should start a money saving forum!

27 March 2013 at 09:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

VQ I post a lot on a forum(You may know the one)if you don't and your e-mail addy is the same as before and you want to read or take part, I'll send you a link.

It has a section about how to save money and live frugally but to be honest I am unsure how much more we can do against all the price rises and austerity measures coming in. So many are struggling.

OK we're not like Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy and Cyprus...not yet but how long before we are and perhaps we're not being told how bad it really is.

If I was on the lowest help possible because of electric/gas charges, water rates, bedroom tax I would be homeless. That would take all my money.

I don't even think a wage would cover my expenses so that is always hanging over me...

I live for now, it is all I/many can do...

In an earlier post I mentioned looking into a water meter for the same reasons as you have and it could save me approx around half of what I am paying. My water rates are approx £520 annually. So I may be following you on that one...

Jan I am supposed to get £100 back at the end of the year from my energy supplier which helps but as they keep raising the prices, whilst I will accept it, it will only pay for one and half's months use and will dwindle still further.

This morning I am even freezing in my bed with fleece throws and a thick duvet on. No wonder so many elderly get hypothermia or die...

Its bad enough when you are young...off to do some hot water bottles and have a mug of coffee and I think I'll put my scarves, hat and gloves on...already have thermals and thick socks on...

27 March 2013 at 10:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We should start a money saving forum!"

I could use that! :o)


Your company doesn't do energy audits where they come to your home and test to see where your energy is going?

Wish I could send you some California sun, my friend. :o(

Jan

27 March 2013 at 15:37  
Anonymous VQ said...

£520 pa for water, Gildy? Good grief, man. get yourself a meter forthwith!!

27 March 2013 at 18:25  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Understand I can have one even in "Social Housing" and if the HA says no to one indoors, they can do it at street level.

Probably could have had one for decades and have always paid too much even when Mum and Dad were alive...just like we paid too much for contents insurance.

You find out too late...

27 March 2013 at 19:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pay just under £200 a year for my water on a meter. I have a shower and have the washing machine on daily.
I dont scrimp on water although I do have a butt outside for watering the plants in the summer

Heather

31 March 2013 at 19:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home