My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Link To The Website That Means...

That you are able to...

Put in information where you are travelling from and to.
Dates of travel.
What time you wish to depart/arrive.
What bus stops to use and where to walk to if you have to change bus services and companies.
What your fare will be.

Traveline

You can also phone for help on 0871 200 22 33 and call centres are open 8am-8pm(some for longer)
When you phone you are given three options...
1. Enquiries for your area but that just means where your journey begins(you could end your journey anywhere)
2. If you are travelling by train, they will transfer you to the national train enquiry service.
3. Questions about travel in another area.

Hope that helps VQ and anyone else too.

UPDATE:Look in the comments section connected to this blog post Heather mentions a way to save money when phoning 0845 and 0870 numbers...

I questioned some of their website information and find I have an amazingly complicated chance to get home from my concert tomorrow night. I get stuck approx 12 miles from home or 7 miles and the cost of fares(as I am unable to use my pass)even if I could get home it would be the same cost as a taxi that is direct from the venue to my door safely.

The best bus route if the show ends at 11pm would not complete until 00.45 and I'd still be miles from here. And require a taxi. There is a taxi office(24/7)two doors from the venue. At least I can go to the venue for free with my pass so save money one way. So that in a roundabout way if you work out what my travel has cost by bus or taxi I have still saved £20 even if I have to pay £20 to come home. The only way you could save without a taxi or pass is to buy a day ticket or weekly bus pass.

The taxi office have taken my name, told me to pop in when the show ends and they will arrange a taxi home, they say that they are the cheapest in the town/area and he quoted me £18-£20. I am unsure what to do about giving a tip. Whether I am obliged and what to pay as that will then increase the cost.

Am I stingy if I give nothing? I used to be generous but now am more careful with money. I once heard you were expected to give 10% of whatever the fare ends up being. So £20 fare would result in a tip of £2.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Instead of dialling the premium rate 0870 number if you go to the website SAY NO TO 0870 and just type in the 0870 number in full it will give you the alternative land line number. So anyone on a package that gives free landline calls will not pay anything to ring.
Hope this helps someone. I am always using this site to avoid lining the pockets of the big companies by dialling 0870/0845 numbers

Heather

10 April 2013 at 19:36  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It does Heather and thanks. I phoned today and was in a queue...so will have to check what I have spent...forgot about that, I was only checking information on the website I thought to be wrong.

It was to some extent.

10 April 2013 at 20:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Can't see my latest calls yet but a previous call in January to the same number for two minutes was 34p

I was on for a perhaps 10 mins that could've been used towards something else, it won't happen again..

10 April 2013 at 20:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Twelve minutes and it cost me approx £2.

Normally my calls are free...the few that I do make...

11 April 2013 at 00:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home