My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Queens Speech...

Every Christmas at 3pm across virtually every broadcaster our Monarch gives a speech with her kind of take on how things are and wish her subjects(us)well.

But the way it works these days, she is not supposed to say anything controversial or give an inkling how she leans politically.

There will always be arguments as to whether "She" writes her own message. Whether it has to be cleared with the Government. Whether they write it for her. I always hear what has been said but gave up a long time ago on actually making the effort to watch or listen to it specially. Not that I am anti royalist as such. I probably don't have strong views either way. I still think I prefer having a Head of State rather than a President but our Prime Ministers behave like Presidents anyhow and they hold the real power anyhow. I do understand why many ask "But what does the Queen do?"

I don't think anything the Royals do affects my life in any way, usually we hear that she brings in a lot of tourists. If that is so perhaps that brings more money into the economy but whether it is invested in a way that benefits the population, I have no idea. I'm not sure how you could prove it.

But I do think that this year she fell into the trap of going on too much about the Olympics and Paralympics* and probably just repeated the same mantra that the Government did when they took place. They were used as a smokescreen to hide a lot of the problems this country is facing, lots of stories have come to light that throws much of what we told about the positives of the event at the time were not as we believed.

It was a success because a lot of unpaid volunteers were involved in the organisation, our armed forces and police too. Many tickets were unavailable for the "Ordinary" members of society and given to corporate or VIP's and often were too expensive anyhow. It looked good on TV around the world. It is possible to be too cynical but equally many have been taken in by the spin.

At a time when many of this country are struggling on low wages, trying to keep their jobs, are unemployed, may lose the roof over their heads with all the changes coming in etc...we needed a speech(even if just said cosmetically)to try and give the population at large some hope regarding the hard times we are facing.

This is why in so many ways the media, politicians and the establishment are seen as being out of  touch with so many of the population.

*Who believes this survey? They asked the grand sum of 1,002 respondents...and we have a population of 60+Million. It still does not dispel the possibility that people have bought into the propaganda that was being put around by the press and media. You could feel how if you had a negative view of the event, broadcasters did all they could to avoid putting you on air or make you feel as though there was something wrong with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home