My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Nothing Exciting Continues...

I have mentioned the Bedroom Tax before, so many do not realise what it entails and the damage it is going to do to so many...I was explaining to my Dr(OK he's never going to be affected by it)as he'll have a good salary and his own property and what I thought I will be paying. He said "Yes but that will only be each month?" When I said weekly, he was visibly shocked. Very few are in favour of it and most who seem to be are on the internet not on the street. There are still people asking me if  Bedroom Tax comes up in conversation "What is it?" and "When is it starting?" Lots of shaking of heads in disbelief.

On my town there is a meeting in a week or so questioning why they keep building large houses and not smaller properties that people could move to but nice houses in decent locations...many are unable to move even if they want to...

Another report today is featured in the news saying the effects this will cause many(Can't find a link) I'm just linking to a few stories mainly for readers that may be outside of the UK to give some background to the topic.


For now I shall hang tight and hope that I can absorb the extra cost and as said before I may have to go down the route of hoping that I can find a lodger which I understand is allowed. Of course I would prefer not to and I may not be successful finding one.

Not sure what the difference is but I am not allowed to sublet. It won't happen but a sure winner for any political party hoping to win the next election would be if they promised to repeal this policy and say so...now! I'll always remember that the House Of Lords who often are criticised for being out of touch and as being "Toffs" and being "Posh" did all they could to stop this becoming law. So perhaps they are not as bad as they are painted.

This year has been pretty ghastly and the New Year doesn't look very promising either...lets hope it is not as bad as feared and at least most of us, working, not working, ill or retired can cope with what they throw at us...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just nuts, Gildy.

I can tell you, that would go over like a fart in church over here.

Jan

20 November 2012 at 01:52  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yesterday, a report on the radio interviewed a Government minister(a Lord)so he's alright...about the Bedroom Tax...his answer...find work, work a second job, longer hours...

This at a time when unemployment is up. Most are trying to find work. It is also acknowledged that there are not enough small(decent properties to move into)

Too complicated to go into detail but the reporter ran rings around him and his answers and he was unable to defend the idea and tried to talk about something else but it still comes in when April arrives...

Experts say people may have to go into private rented housing with less protection for tenants and yes you may not pay the bedroom tax or it may initially save the Government some money but as private landlords charge more anything saved will be lost so it could end up costing much more.

Some will end up in more poverty, homeless or having to move into areas less desirable so instead of your life improving the opposite will happen.

One lady featured has moved 10 miles and away from her relatives that help support her to avoid the tax but she'll either now be a prisoner in her home and know no one in the new location.

And then probably still pay because she'll need public transport to go anywhere.

20 November 2012 at 08:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even believe that. It's not only me...I read that to my husband and brother and they were shocked!

Next week, on R4, they're going to have a couple of interesting programs. One is called Poor Reporting...it's about reporting on the poor and their issues.

The other is called the State of Welfare...it's the 70th? anniversary so they're doing a retrospective apparently.

They sound interesting...

Jan

20 November 2012 at 10:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'll try and listen but I suspect it will be a depressing couple of programmes and from past experience I suspect those suffering the most will not come out of it too well.

Yes, the pot is getting smaller so some of what others have said is true but those who work instead of being so critical need to see that the problem is that many employees are not being paid enough.

So we are all suffering and it is awful to see the population being divided.

20 November 2012 at 12:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home