My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, November 12, 2012

It's Legal...

The other night a consumer programme on TV and it mentioned that some cartons of fruit juice were not all that they seem...

And I found one that I have(not mentioned on the programme)follows the same practice as those featured.

I'll explain...

I have a carton of  New Ocean Spray 100% Juice from concentrate with added Vitamin C Blueberry and Pomegranate with Cranberry.

However, when you look at the list of ingredients and the percentages. The carton contains...

Grape 70%
Apple 10%
Cranberry 9%
Pomegranate 6%
Blueberry 3%
Aronia 2%
Vitamin C

So combined the Blueberry, Pomegranate and Cranberry only comes to 18% And until you read the information on the back there is not any mention about the grape juice.

I understand from next year if  a carton of juice says it is Blueberry and Pomegranate with Cranberry then they have to be listed as the main ingredients and in the order they are the greatest quantity.

It will affect many products in the future. This could mean the shortcuts that have kept the prices down may increase so we'll have to pay more or switch to a less expensive and more basic fruit juice.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dr told me some time ago to look out for the percentages of fruit in so called fruit drinks. You also know now.

12 November 2012 at 14:51  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes, thanks...it will be interesting to see how things will change when this new regulation comes in.

I will be paying greater attention myself in future, I am usually more savvy when shopping.

Looked at other cartons of juice I have(Two actually)different make, Apple with Ginger and Apple with Elderflower.

More honest as the they have Apple first and in really large print. However, closer inpection reveals that both have 99% Apple!

So if I really wish to blend them in future, I'm best buying a basic juice and combining them myself.

12 November 2012 at 21:58  
Blogger A Northern Bloke said...

It seems to me that nowadays honesty is regarded as a lifestyle choice rather than a moral obligation.

13 November 2012 at 20:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Sadly, that is probably true...is honesty the best policy? I sometimes wonder...

13 November 2012 at 20:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home