My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

This Will Be An Interesting Weekend...

I have gone down with a bad back...in the Lumber region. And even the most simple movements are difficult and very painful. But unless I have to ask for help, like many I will work around the problem and manage on my own.

And having seen what care is like for those who require it, I want as little as possible to do with social services, social care or health departments...it is not a case of pride but the more they get involved, your life is not your own...

At least when I was unwell before I had the support of my Mum...I remember some months ago someone was talking about losing his wife and he said the scariest(and this may seem selfish)time for him and when he feels at his most vulnerable is at night and he is taken ill. It is on the other hand a compliment to the love, comfort, support and care of his partner and their relationship.

I am able to move around tentatively using a variety of aids(walking stick, zimmer frame, leaning on furniture, holding onto things around the house etc...)and no I am not saying this for sympathy or because I am feeling sorry for myself. There will always be those worse than myself. Lately, I feel as though I have to excuse myself if I say I am unwell because I will be criticised and yet others will say something similar and not be or they will be given a word of support. You become paranoid and feel that you have to defend yourself these days.

Anyhow, earlier in the day I made the effort to have a small mixed grill and perhaps because it has been awhile since I had one I really enjoyed it. Streaky bacon, eggs and mushrooms. I could have grilled it but I'm not too bothered about all the carry on over fried food over grilled as I don't fry food that often and I was using Olive Oil anyhow...but I may be switching soon to Rapeseed Oil as that is cheaper and has various properties that may make it even more healthier than Olive Oil. It also can cook at a higher temperature without smoking/burning...

From bad backs to food...how did that happen?

Here's another occasion where having a well stocked store of food will help as I do not have to go out or try to ask someone to get items for me...an unforeseen situation. Not the usual bad weather(ice or snow)keeping you indoors.

Update:Thought I had been lucky upon waking and beaten it but no...it has returned and I also have something similar to frozen shoulder too(I don't do things by halves)Things come in three's they say...they can keep that, two is enough!on crutches emoticon

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In spite of what you say about Anons, I am sorry you are suffering and hope your back will soon be better.

10 November 2012 at 04:37  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you Anon,
Most who leave comments are fine, I assume that you are the anon that wished me well for my hospital visit :-)

I am grateful that you wish to read my thoughts and leave a comment.

I may seem a moaner, I wasn't known as one and hopefully my blog will show my interests increasing and me becoming more positive.

I am quite outgoing and I seem to have such an open face people feel that they able to talk to me and they seem to walk away looking happier.

Often I hear their troubles and not once do I mention my own.

And this how I can guage the mood of those around me. It is anecdotal of course but I see it as "The Silent Majority" or "Real People" talking and it is not media driven...

I mentioned avoiding being helped. Don't get me wrong there are some great carers out there, doing their best and often for a really low wage. I am not proud and will accept help but like many I manage and adapt and I don't mind if one day I am unable to do something and delay it for another day...

But when authorities get involved they can take over and may believe that they are helping but often stick to their own template. I want to remain independent as long as possible.

Most of the time I can within my home but may not be able to go out and do tasks on a regular bases.

Many disabled use a computer to order their shopping due to the cost of traveling, mobility issues and they may get more for their money...

But there have been occasions where in an assessment using a computer has gone against them and been seen as a way to say someone is fit!

The same thing can happen regarding the cooking/preparing of meals. You have to fit a certain criteria.

Which is best, having some independence or bringing in help which also will end up costing more.

We are in very difficult times...all of us.

I know a lot of what is going on and is planned but don't always post about it.

Many who believe they are ok now could be in for a shock and that is not me wishing harm on anyone.

I am reasonably thick skinned thankfully.

Thank you again :-)

10 November 2012 at 05:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Gildy! What did you do?

You sound like me everyday, my friend. That's exactly how I move through my house! :oP I have a small home so there's always something close, thank goodness.

I absolutely get not wanting to call in for help. There's definitely something to be said for staying under the radar. But sometimes you have to.

I'm just now getting caught-up on your posts, so hopefully it took care of itself...which it usually does...and it's no longer an issue.

Jan

16 November 2012 at 11:12  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I managed...that's what we do Jan.:o)

The trouble with the changes coming in, is they want to keep you in the community(they say)but if you look like you are managing they cut the help you get financially but if you look too bad you could be forced to accept home care or possibly put into a home which actually costs them much more.

It's a difficult one, I love staying under the radar... It's bad enough that being single you know unless you suddenly drop down dead, a home is where you probably will end up.

And your income is pretty basic...
most people will get nothing if they have savings of £16,000($25,381)but you only really get most help if you have only savings of £6,000($9,518)and in this day and age that is not a lot of security. So they are actually making you poor.

I think the threshold should be at least £25,000($39,658)you might be able to afford better food, keep your heating on longer, replace items that break down)possibly use your savings more...but if they make you spend the little amount you have then you are totally dependent on the State.

16 November 2012 at 13:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's much the same here. My brother and I call it "Too much not enough money". :oP

Jan

16 November 2012 at 16:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home