My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Food Glorious Food...

I don't have as much of a food store as it looks, what makes it appear so is trying to fit food into the crates because of the shape of them. Anyhow, yesterday I did a stock check and rotation of the goods so older items are used first...

It appears much of what I have will last ages as most of it is in cans and are dated best before 2013-2017. And my older stuff is confined to one crate and they are dated 2011-2012. And to be honest items months past their dates are fine...so they will not be wasted. Mostly tinned meats, fish and vegetables...the only thing I threw away was some crisps I had missed and they don't always taste nice when they go past their date.

My fridge freezer is full and the remaining cupboards and pantry too. I am not overeating and that means that my food shopping is less frequent and I am spending less. If my freezer was larger and I had space the bargains on reduced priced meat in the local Tesco's at a reasonable time was the best I have seen but too much for a single person unless you could adapt it into smaller portions and had spare cash in the first place. You could have probably purchased a year's supply at once. If I manage to use up some of what I have in the freezer between now and Christmas I may see if I can do something abou that.
Catch up time...my back has improved greatlybliss emoticonstill get a twinge though...

Also, I have a clean slate regarding my gas and electric...a couple of days ago I phoned some meter readings into my utility company and was told that I was approx £35 in credit on the electric but owed approx £72 on the gas...

I phoned again the following day and a different person said after working things out that the direct debit covers both and after some calculations and using the credit on the electric, all I owed was £16 on the gas so I paid it. This also showed the original information I had been given was wrong and I was already better off by £25.

I have increased my DD by £5 per month. So my monthly DD is now £67. We'll see how it goes especially when more of my income reduces still further which it will...

It has been milder of late so am managing to keep the heating off or use it sparingly and my use of thermals, fingerless gloves, scarf, hat and socks are making a difference most of the time...to save washing too often and to build up enough clothes for a full load, I have plenty of charity shirts/jumpers and cardigans, the other day I managed to find a John Lewis 93% lambswool/7%cashmere jumper in mauve for 99p. The only problem it was extra large so it goes over my bum but it keeps me warm and I don't care what I look like...

I have six or seven sets of thermals(which allows for changing them regularly if I get sweaty)and nine pairs of thermal socks...same reason and some are not as bulky so they can be used when wearing slippers or shoes. They were quite a bargain yesterday...three pairs for £3.29 but if you spent £4 you got six pairs.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm soooo happy your back is better, Gildy! Great news! :o)

And that your electric bill is better than expected!

Woohoo! :o)


Jan

16 November 2012 at 11:40  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you Jan...

I really am trying to be positive. I was always known to be so...though I am unhappy with the latest turn of events...I have talked to someone who is up the kind of problems I face and fingers crossed things may still not be as bad as feared...

I have not let Mum's clothes go yet and I don't sit looking at them but I have moved things around and tidied the wardrobes and managed to get all my clothes into one wardrobe and it is the tidiest it has been in ages.

It felt a little strange but it kept me busy...and filled a coupleof hours...

16 November 2012 at 15:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's weird going through their things.

Everyone handles that differently. My mother-in-law needed to get rid of everything immediately...I on the other hand had a hard time getting rid of anything! I'm finally getting to where I can let a lot of it go.

Glad to hear it may not be as bad as feared. Sending all my good thoughts, wishes and prayers for you....as always! :o)

Jan

16 November 2012 at 16:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home