My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

A New Day...

I think that there is an improvement in my back. I made the effort to get out early and attend the local Remembrance Sunday Ceremony. I was tired by the time I returned home though...but for those who say get out and do something, well there you are, I did.

Always touching these kind of events and yes, I wiped a tear away. I was going to attend the service but the church was quite packed and at least I paid my respects. A couple of slight mistakes crept in, the town clock had stopped so no chimes at 11am to start the two minute silence and the lowering of the flag and raising of it was messed up as it became caught up on a really small branch(more like a twig)on a tree nearby.

On the way home the specials were on sale at the new supermarket so I treat myself some new thermal socks and a nice warm scarf for the future especially for when the ones I have are in the wash or wear out. And though I have enough mugs, cups, plates, bowls, cutlery and glasses to last my lifetime. Though not a big drinker and booze is too expensive, I always wanted(even when Mum was alive)proper cocktail glasses, the kind you drink a Martini type cocktail out of and they are never available locally.

Well, the new supermarket had some in their Sunday special range. So I got some of them too. So as long as I don't break them they'll do for me.

Do I eat too much as some have commented? Well, all I have had is a diluted fruit juice with water, salad, bread and light spread(with a little cooked ham, one potato and egg(coffee with semi skimmed milk, no sugar)no dessert, cake or bicuits and have had all my calories(and minerals/vitamins)for the day so you cannot say there is any fat to speak of and that I have overloaded either. So for the poster who said that I will become obese sorry to disappoint you even if said jokingly.salad emoticonI don't say that in a nasty way, the comment was probably said with the best of intentions...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The poster who said you 'could' become obese was your friend Nick, who only has your best interest at heart, as do we all.

I'll say this though, if I was worried about money, the last things I would be buying are cocktail glasses. Although you did stockpile 'booze' a few months ago, so you obviously have different priorities to me.

11 November 2012 at 18:04  
Blogger Span Ows said...

LOL, Gildy are you planning a rave?

11 November 2012 at 18:24  
Blogger Paul said...

Good to get out at this time of year Gildy even if it's just for an hour or so. Remember that if you don't eat at least three hours before going to bed you will actually start to burn off calories when you've been asleep for five hours.

11 November 2012 at 22:14  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If only Span, if only :-)

Anon, I haven't really purchased any drink much since that last mention but I really make it last.

If I can stay put and be bothered, I could make my own drink(as good as any in the shops and often less expensive)but space is required.

Then again until the Government introduce the levy as they threaten on the grounds of the Nation's health(really to get more tax out of us)my choice is a 50p can of cider. And that does not break the budget...yet!

The glasses are more suited to cocktails and as these were specials(not that expensive)been after them for years...less than £5

I can take criticism and/or advice buy occsaionally the intention is not always clear.

It does make you feel good to get out Paul, not much to see in my town and neighbouring towns are difficult due to the bus service/cost of taxi's. My needs are simple.

If I lived where you are I would be happy to stay within the harbour or Priory area and watch the world go by.

If I had money I would happily do the same at Sandbanks(but if I had money)I could go where I please anyhow.

And instead of economising on what I spend on heating etc...and thinking of having a lodger in to help pay the bills...I could employ someone to cook and keep my place for me.

And tell them where to put their money, I welcome it but dislike jumping through all the hoops and being treated as a scrounger but is funny yet understandable, that comes mainly from the media(especially newspapers)politicians and those who call into radio phone in's. At groud level that attitude is virtually non existant.

With a little amount of savings(I wish)I could avoid perhaps my fear of having to go into a home or have a care plan forced on me. More likely when single and no family to help.

And before others criticise, I am not depressed nor think of this 24/7. They are thoughts I suspect many of us have.

I hate having to prove that I am entitled to State help which gets smaller and they get more restrictive with their conditions, they want you to stay independent but move the goalposts so you have to do less to receive any help and the worse you are it will cost them more.

I love having as little contact as possible. I think it will become harder to have your own life as changes are brought in for many.

Paul, I have heard that you can lose weight when sleeping too but I do know that I am not gaining it...I am maintaining it or losing an odd pound here and there.

The waistband on my trousers is my best guide. At worst I think there was a time I was wearing 40inches(perhaps more)now it's 36inches and I need a belt to keep them up.

But I wear large size for shirts/jumpers etc...and I do have some definition back regarding my neck and chin. I blame all this on my illness/medication.

12 November 2012 at 03:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm a few months away from my 75th birthday and I think about death almost ever day because at my age you can't fool yourself that you will live forever.
Whatever is ahead won't be that pleasant and personally, if I were your age (55yrs or therebouts) and despite your medical problems, I would not keep on mulling it over so much as you have so much time in front of you. This might be a situation, however, that doesn't please you but I can't do much about that.
Our differences are and there's nothing I can do about this either, is that I have loads of money and you very little but that is how life treats us. Everyone is different and has a different birthright and other circumstances that affect our path through life.
I have suffered from mild Agorophobia for most of my adult life and this has severely curtailed my adventures, which could have been legion and would have used up my wealth!

13 November 2012 at 15:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, the above anonymous about being 75 soon was from me,

Nick

13 November 2012 at 15:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you Nick,
Without dwelling on the main point too much that is a big admission...it is natural to think of our mortality though some say that we should not. I believe everyone does.

Thank for your honesty regarding your medical situation.

It puts so much into perspective and can help explain where you are coming from and I can see some simularities between us.

Sometimes our destiny is in our hands and other times we have to work with the cards we are dealt.

I can honestly say that I am able to put it out of my mind most of the time and yesterday has not been too bad.

However, I woke approx an hour ago and felt troubled and it has taken until now to settle down. But I feel calmer. Usually, I am ok through the night.

14 November 2012 at 05:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

As for getting out I have two nights planned between now and Christmas(two local concerts)in a Town Hall near by, the shows are reasonable(approx £8 each)it is having to add bus fares into the equation that makes things expensive and difficult hanging around for the last bus home.

Considering the size of my town it would be great if some events took place here.

Thank you for sharing Nick.

14 November 2012 at 05:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home