My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, November 03, 2012

The Care Plan For Those Deemed To Be Coming To The End Of Their Lives...

Once again it has come to light that there are many concerns and listening to the coverage on the radio I am even more convinced that Mum was allowed to die and I was naive to what was going on. I was not asked for my consent but told this is what will happen. It has also come to light that many hospitals, the NHS in general are getting a financial bonus for putting people onto the plan...that is like saying "We'll pay you for finishing someone off!"

I have heard a Dr say on the radio when it was put to this Dr about the patient sucking on sponges dipped in water and if that is the case that is wrong and they should be given liquid by mouth and if that cannot be done it can be given another way and Mum was doing that.

I don't like what I am hearing. Alarm bells are ringing over Mum but sadly too late. I am hearing so many examples where other people were not asked or informed about this plan and whether a loved one has been placed on it. Many stories are coming back where relatives have questioned the decision and the person has recovered and even left the hospital and made it to a Nursing Home or even got back to their own home and even made a full recovery...

It stinks...

Relatives Must Be Informed

There is said to be some announcement from the Health Secretary of the Government about this on November 5th because of all the stories coming to light from the public. I'm not expecting much changing. After all if they admit things are not as they should be they are laying the health service open to being sued.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was your Mum actually denied food or water , or was she always offered it ?

5 November 2012 at 09:26  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I was able to feed Mum. Sometimes they forgot even when I was there and at best I got an apology.

Some people have said their loved ones were sedated so much they were not awake to talk to or even have the chance to get any food or drink(that happened to Mum in the end)but through her last night when they used the sponges on sticks to clean her mouth she tried to suck on them and get as much water out of them.

The following morning when the nurse was out of the room I managed to get a seringe of tea into Mum.

I phoned NHS Direct for advice and told leave it until the next day and request a Dr, 90 minutes later Mum passed away. So you could say food and drink was withdrawn.

I have heard many examples in recent days where patients came back after relatives stepped in.

5 November 2012 at 14:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would your mumu have 'come back' to? A few more days or maybe weeks of pain, drugs and discomfort?

My aunt died recently after having been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, this year. She suddenly become very ill rather quickly and asked her daughter to take her to hospital knowing that there wasn't much time left and didn't want to be an unnecessary burdern to her working daughter, with whom she lived.

She died about a fortnight later and was put on the Liverpool plan by agreement with everyone who had her best interests at heart. The alternative was too much to describe here and weekly blood transfusions which weren't really benefitting her were now out of the question.
Ultimately, you must let people go and not want them around for a few more day, weeks or months for one's own selfish desires. Think of the discomfort of those who are ill and where the outcome is terminal anyway.

Move on, as they say and try and adjust your life without your mum - we all have to, ultimately.

These are my final words on this subject.

Nick

Sorry to be so direct but you must stop anguishing so much about what was inevitable.
At least my cousin can now get on with her life and seek new vistas and friends.

5 November 2012 at 14:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


Those sticks you mentioned are actually used to get water into a patient. When I was looking after my Dad, he started refusing liquids
in his last week. I told the DN, she said the body is shutting up shop for the last time and the best you can do is take these lollipops (she called them) soak them in water and use them to keep his mouth moist regularly.

Ray

5 November 2012 at 19:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Nick , this train of thought is getting you nowhere . Either demand a full enquiry, & kick up a stink, or try to enjoy the rest of your life, for the sake of your parents' memory !

5 November 2012 at 23:29  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Most of the time I am ok and each day is an improvement(I think on the last)I appreciate your input.

Thank you...

I may have some better news regarding the changes I was worried about in the future which has eased my mind too which I will post about soon...it could change of cause as other ideas are being talked about but I will take any good news that there is...

I may still be able to stay put...and absorb the cost but yes I can have a lodger.

7 November 2012 at 08:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home