My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Searchers...Part One

A 60's pop group that are still going strong and celebrating their official 50th anniversary. Such performers are more than many of those that are performing now. They have staying power. They have learnt their craft. They have put in the hard graft and are still prepared to give.

Ok some will say because the line up of the group has changed and there are a couple of new people "It is not the same" but one of the "New" boys has been with the group for twenty six years and until the new drummer joined two and a half years ago, he had been there for quite a long time. But in fifty years a lot happens...most of the changes are sadly due to members passing away...but two original members are still there and they are around the late 60's/early 70's age wise.

They did split some years ago and there is another "Searchers" but it has to be preceded by being called Mike Pender's Searchers. But it is obvious that this group as seen on Sunday has managed to hang onto and had most of the original members over the years...so is the most original of the two.

The fact is that groups from this time have adapted and become more than a straight forward pop group, singing song after song as probably happened in the 60's, performing to an audience screaming teenagers...now people listen and the audience has grown with them. Others have discovered them late in life.

They still play the larger venues and tour the UK, Europe and further afield, The Searchers will be performing in Australia and N. Zealand in 2013 but they are equally prepared to play more intimate venues but in recent months I have seen perhaps because of the austere times we find ourselves some of the concerts I have attended there have been a lot of empty seats.

But from what I could see on Sunday the theatre was full...which made me feel good and must do them some good too.

We were treated to most of their hits but also a few rarities from their back catalogue and some cover versions of other popular songs from other artists of the time...also there was some "banter" and comedy between the songs too.

I was tempted to buy a CD after the show and have it autographed(as I left)and it is good to see them prepared to meet the audience, have photo's taken with fans(they are one of few that I have heard admit that they were happy to allow photo's to be taken during the performance)some get very precious about all that...I did not bother with the CD in the end...it all adds to the cost of the ticket, the bus fare etc...if money was no object I probably would've but I have most of their hits already on CD and on the PC.

Also, should I have to move I worry there may not be enough room to take my CD collection with me anyhow.

They still sound as good as I remember them and it was good to hear songs that are so familiar and part of my life. To think I had to wait until their 50th anniversary(that's their official date)but in one form or another they have been there for at least another four years...

Don't Throw Your Love Away

Needles And Pins

Sweets For My Sweet

When You Walk In The Room(The Line Up That I Saw On Sunday)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ian Young said...

I remember some of those songs, it 's amazing that they're still going

31 October 2012 at 07:42  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There are so many Ian,
As you have probably seen from recent posts, I am happy that I have managed to see some of them before it is too late or I am unable to afford to.

Fancy it taking me until their 50th anniversary to do so. The Searchers have a very good website and do seem to value the support they get from the public...

How very different it must be, meeting the public after the shows whereas chances are in their early days they'd be rushed away in a van being chased by teenage girls and to some extent having to watch out for their personal safety.

OK I did not speak with them but I could've. They did seem very approachable.

They also said that they like to get feedback via their website...and the suggestion was that they will be continuing touring and that they change their shows.

Considering that the two original members are around the ages of 68/72 they have some stamina. And must still love the business.

One of the newer members releases music in his own right and was a member of the band First Class, their biggest hit being "Beach Baby"

31 October 2012 at 09:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

For anyone who can afford or has access to satellite TV(Sky)or the free version Freesat the one I have there is a channel that is doing rather well as it plays "Older" music and also bothers to interview musicians that other music stations ignore/neglect. It is called Vintage TV.

I did not realise that I still had access to the channel until recently and Frank Allen(of the Searchers)was choosing his favourite tracks by other artists a few months back so I will have to look out for a repeat.

31 October 2012 at 09:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home