My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, November 03, 2012

Swings And Roundabouts...

I believe that I am having more good days than bad and that I am continuing my journey of discovery. Occasionally, I have my troubled times yesterday was a little bit of one of those days but I suppose that I have had worse and will have more to come.

I would be telling a lie if I did not say "I have been b***** freezing!" but it is a strange thing, sometimes I can look at the temperature on the thermometer in my bedroom and the same number is showing and I am quite cosy in bed...other times I am really cold and my feet are like blocks of ice even with thermal socks on.

Lately, I have taken to sleeping in thermals, gloves, a scarf and a hat. Now, what I don't get is for a few hours  I was really cold. Suddenly, at around 3am I am lovely and cosy, I have been able to remove the gloves and the hat. As for my feet...they are toasty.

In fact earlier this morning I thought the following...


I had a light bulb moment. I have a fairly decent food store...so "perhaps if I don't have to buy food for a while and use what I have built up, I can afford to put the CH on and be warm and cosy again during the cold times...at present I am trying to avoid using the CH or electric.

Then perhaps the trick is to...buy and store food during the spring and summer months for future use over the year...Then money I might spend on food during Autumn/Winter might pay for the heating when it is most cold...this may/may not work but I just thought of that!"


Speaking of which over here in the UK I think my favourite TV cook is Nigel Slater(no doubt his programmes are shown around the world)but most of his meals are not fancy, quite easy and he tends to use what happens to be in the fridge/freezer. They are meals you think anyone could do. Anyone abroad you should be able to find his recipes and probably some videos on You Tube.

A lot of my meals are simple and similar but at least they are good and wholesome. I can make meals stretch. Earlier I did a casserole and I think I have enough for another couple of meals left over...

It has diced/sliced celery, potato, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, turnip, leeks, mushrooms, carrots, onions, sausage and some turkey steak and gravy. My other staple food is salad. So I guess I am at least getting all the vitamins and minerals that I should be...but I am going to try add some extra variety in my diet again...I have some nice fish(salmon, sole, mackerel, prawns)and meat(chicken, lamb, pork, turkey)but I also have cereal and porridge too, salad and fruit, various fresh vegetables too. So why not use what I have...

I'm going to try and come up with some sandwiches with different fillings. Even if I copy what they have in the supermarket, I am sure mine will be as good and probably cheaper...

So at least I am trying to keep body and soul together.

I managed to get my Turkey Roast for Christmas the other day, I was resigned to just having some sliced to use for the Christmas meal but found a joint worth £6 yellow stickered to approx £2 so that is now in the freezer. Sometimes there really is a bargain to be had and then other times the reductions are poor and all they'll knock off is 50p. And sometimes they leave it really late to reduce the prices when the supermarket is really empty like 9pm. On the other hand you may find you are too late and should go in around 8pm. it really is pot luck.

So for now perhaps I can keep my shopping costs down and just buy salad vegetables, fruit, bread and milk. And of course on Thursday the new discount Supermarket opens...the same day that I go to the hospital for my check up.
(Update November 4th, 2012)Go figure...last night into this morning I did nothing different regarding what I wear to bed or the bedclothes(I did not have the heating on or use a hot water bottle)and it was so cold outside there were clear skies and a frost on the roads, cars and roofs of the houses and yet the house was not as cold and I was lovely and warm in bed. I'm not complaining but when I would have thought I would be at my coldest I felt reasonable. I hope that there are many more times like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home