My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

There Was A Discussion On The Radio...

yesterday and it was about the loss of someone and the over all opinion of those affected and the experts is that there is no right or wrong way to cope with grief nor a right amount of time to grieve.

However, the suggestion was that it can take as long as five years to come to terms with such a traumatic event. And that you may think it's all going well but that the second year can be harder than the first.

Funnily enough when I attended Mum's remembrance service afterwards I talked to someone who lost his wife and thought he was doing well and in the second year went down with serious depression and needed to seek help from his Doctor, so maybe I am following the same path.

So far I think that I am doing quite well all things considered.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's absolutely true. There is no instruction manual for grief. It is what it is and all you can do is go through it the best you can.

I think five years is probably about right. And even it at that, it's not like "Whoosh! Okay...glad that's over!". It's with you always, you just get used to it and it becomes a part of you.

And I think you're doing quite well, too! :o)

Jan

26 September 2012 at 09:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you Jan :-)

Sadly though life has to go on and many like you and I are compassionate/understanding I it is in't everyone)but usually those who run the world(leaders/employers)are not and expect that you can pick up within days and carry on as though nothing has happened.

It is no wonder so many suffer with stress and depression.

There is little if any time to recover.

26 September 2012 at 22:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home