My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Little Bit Thoughtful, Little Bit Worried...

Thinking of the future again. The idea of getting a lodger in is going through my mind. It's either a daft idea or the best way forward.

If I was older(retired/pensioner)things would stay much as it is now...

But more information coming my way makes me wonder if I am at my most thrifty/frugal I can absorb the extra money I need to stay put. Not helped by the fact that small properties are few so many have to stay put and have no choice.

From what I gather the problem is that I might be able to manage a slight increase in the Council Tax, the new Bedroom Tax, slight increase in Rent, the utility bills(if I use less)It will be difficult but possible. But a lot of people forget that there is also water rates to pay. I reckon that means even putting the cost of food and the internet/phone line rental out of the equation that is quite a lot of extra money to find weekly.

But the killer will be if my benefit that helps towards my health problems was to stop and no one knows what will happen on that score until it happens. The other problem being that what I receive is being being scrapped and if you can still qualify the replacement is 20% less so that combined with the other changes would reduce my income even further.

So the lodger idea if allowed may be my only option. I have two small bedrooms which if acceptable the lodger could choose from and I would be willing to give access to most of my home, phone and access to the internet, use of the kitchen. Probably share my food and use my kitchen gadgets. Put a TV, microwave and kettle in the lodger's room. A chest of draws(there is already a kind of built in wardrobe with enough room for clothes and some personal possessions)

I have a single bed that I can put in the room. It just requires a new mattress.

Just have to find the right amount to charge(assuming someone likes the room/house/me)

It has been suggested in an article that I read to try and consider getting a lodger that works away from home during the week and goes home at weekends so you still have some control/privacy over your home/life.

I think I could accept a lodger but sleeping with a stranger in the same house will be what will take most getting used to.

But again still too much remains unknown.

Even if I could downsize unless you can find a one bedroom property, there is little difference shifting for one bedroom and if I was across town the money it would cost to travel around could be as much as paying all the extra cost staying put...

There are going to be many affected by what is happening but it has not really hit home yet.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, from what you've said, a lodger would be ideal...as long as it's the right one.

I would suggest choosing carefully, with lots of references, a steady job, etc..., which I know you already know. :oP

Here we have a Renters Association that helps folks with that kind of thing, on both sides of the deal. They tell you what is required by law for both parties. If you have similar, that may be where to start investigating.


Jan :o)

23 September 2012 at 06:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

To some extent this post of mine is repeating myself Jan but what provoked me writing it was more information has come out and funnily enough since writing that a free leaflet dropped through the letterbox from my insurance company and at the back of it, I have no idea why, they have a feature and the talk of taking in lodgers to increase income comes up.

I would have more freedom on what I can do if I owned the property but as I rent I may be restricted but I do understand that I am allowed to do this. Having two rooms(perhaps the option is there to have two lodgers :-)

If I charge I may be told that I can only ask for so much.

Over a certain amount I may affect what I am allowed to have before my benefits are affected but if my income is being reduced anyhow any help from another source would be welcome.

If I have too much from a lodger I could have to start paying income tax...so they still get you.

I was talking to staff in the charity shop I get cheap clothes from, it is too complicated to write up here but the more I was told of examples they have seen/heard about the changes coming in and how it has affected their recruiting of unpaid volunteers and how they are affected by changes on what people can/cannot do, is even more frightening.

To the few people I have mentioned the idea to there has been more positive responses than negative.

23 September 2012 at 10:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I think I'd start off with one lodger, Gildy.

For some reason three is usually not company. It seems to be that when there are three, there's always two against one, somehow. :o/

I remember when all the kids in our family were small I could keep any two of them with no problems at all, but as soon as the third got in there...

Anyhoo, something to think about. You'll figure out whats right.

Jan

23 September 2012 at 11:03  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

More suggestions in the news that they want to do more regarding cuts in what help is given to the disadvantaged, already we are being squeezed until our pips squeak I do wonder how much more they think we can survive on.

23 September 2012 at 22:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home