My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Two For The Price Of One...

Well, it is obviously that in many ways provisional theatre is suffering as once again there were quite a number of empty seats.

This was a production recreating a kind of concert by Buddy Holly and the Crickets plus a guest spot by a 60's pop idol(I don't think he was ever as popular as the likes of Marty Wilde/Billy Fury)but he's still performing and has branched out into acting as well as singing Jess Conrad.

Now I like a bit of Rock n Roll and many years ago I did see a production of the life story of Buddy Holly that had originally been produced in London's West End when it too up a Summer Season in Bournemouth. That was fantastic.

The last half was a recreation of the last concert Buddy gave before the plane crash that took his life and they had performers also playing the parts of the others in that concert.

I have to say that the guy playing the part of Buddy last night was a pretty good likeness, he did have personality and he could play the guitar, sing like Buddy and had all of his mannerisms. They went through probably all of Buddy's repertoire as far as I know(certainly all of his well known material)

They even stuck in a couple of extras associated with Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard.

Jess Conrad did a fair few songs of the era(I thought he might of sung some his songs from the 60's)but he avoided them. He also did a bit of a stand up routine too.

And yet...I can not explain why. I did not really enjoy the show. I found my mind wondering and switching off. It did not hold my interest as the other shows have managed to and whereas I have thought about the other shows I have seen afterwards and they still make me smile, this one did not manage to do that.

To be honest few in the area of the theatre I was seated seemed to be moving to the music much at all. Though one female really did let go and was moving for the whole time the show was on. So someone enjoyed it! I would say there was polite applause.

Rick Wakeman the previous night I can tell you this was class...A wonderful musician, good quality sound so you could hear him and he wasn't swamped by a loud backing track that was very basey and he also had personality too...in between the music he was able to tell his anecdotal stories which were funny but also thoughtful.

Hard to believe that we were seeing a rock musician who can fill some of the largest venues around the world appearing with some of the greatest orchestras and effects etc...and yet he can take time out to keep it simple by just performing with a piano and come to a small theatre. You can tell that he was originally classically trained. I have to admit that I knew very little about his music. I know of bands h has appeared with over the years such as The Strawbs and Yes. I also know that he used to be a session musician and sometimes this means that you don't get a credit. Two songs could not be more different that featured him...Grandad by Clive Dunn and Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens. His fee for that song was...£9.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a great concert! I'd love to see Rick Wakeman. I've always enjoyed his music I've heard.

Wow! £9? And the funny thing is he was probably glad to get it! :o/

I'm sure he's making a little more now. :o)


Jan

18 September 2012 at 19:52  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Jan,
I think his show might be my favourite so far. It was quality from start to finish. He was able to play music from his more thoughtful more intimate side. Also he stripped down some of his complicated material to it's bare bones.

He also played a tune he wrote after losing his Mum and he was saying how you remember someone after they have gone but they haven't gone as long as they are in your heart and you have your memories. In fact it was called "Gone but not forgotten"

23 September 2012 at 23:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home