My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Considering That I Have Been Watching...

the local theatre websites somehow I missed the chance to see a concert starring Neil Sedaka, it's sold out and I have no idea how I missed this concert. Unless it was slipped in to the schedule at short notice.


The really big venues that now attract the international artists are approx 31 miles away but thankfully some still play the smaller theatres within roughly a 7-12 mile radius...

I wish the transport was better to the Sage in Gateshead...I have to either use taxis(too expensive)or use two buses by going to Durham and then switch to a different bus company and travel for another fifty minutes. Trains are difficult and do not go directly to Gateshead, you'd have to go to Newcastle and then double back to Gateshead. And should provincial theatre close we will lose out culturally.


I'll still enjoy who I am seeing on the same night, Stacy Kent and a big band but I could have travelled an extra 13 miles or so and seen a really big international music icon...oh well! The venue is fantastic and ticket prices not bad, its down to the cost of getting there and difficulty.

Pity it's a musical rather than a concert but unless it is cancelled or I am ill at the time,who would have thought that next year our local little theatre would have three of the Osmonds appearing?

My worry is that the musical shows that I will see in Durham I have a great view but I am so close my hearing may suffer so I may have to stuff my ears full of cotton wool to avoid damaging it. I may see if I can get some ear plugs of some kind...I had no idea I was so close when the seats were booked, fine for speech shows but pop groups and big bands perhaps not.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here, sometimes, when there are concerts in another town, folks who are going get together and charter a bus.

Perhaps there something like this going in your area. Might be worth taking a look.

:o)

18 September 2012 at 20:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It is an idea. In case tickets sell out maybe we could say who wants to go to a particular series of concerts, if the interest is enough then a bus could be chartered.

There are some really great concerts at the Sage and it has such a reputation. The international stars all seem to go there.

It has been suggested if I can afford to I should stay over if I go there...

19 September 2012 at 00:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, if you could afford it, that would be nice! :o)

Jan

19 September 2012 at 11:03  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I keep reading that the theatre is expensive in London but a quick look on here, I have found that in many cases prices are much the same in provincial theatre around the country and you probably could see quite a few productions at prices around the £15-£20 range and some of the productions locally are costing roughly the price of the more expensive tickets in the West End.

But I guess production costs and bringing big names to a smaller theatre means they sometimes have to charge more.

Of course in these difficult times there could be a case for cutting the fees being paid to performers as it is a case of do you want work and keep theatres in business and charge too much the work will dry up and theatres may close.

A stand up comedian/singer etc...can survive because of radio/tv coverage and also appear at a large venue but there is not so much tv work these days in the UK unless you are in a Soap.

Drama programmes are fewer. And much of the schedule is filled with reality shows, the news and magazine/factual type programmes. So theatre work is probably keeping the wolf from the door.

19 September 2012 at 16:40  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

The cast of the touring version of The Mousetrap has been announced and though they are mainly known for TV work and are in some top British series' including Downton Abbey I was about to say I don't know them but I have looked around the webs and three I know well and a couple I know by sight.

Graham Seed's character was killed off in the long running radio drama series The Archers not so long ago...

http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/theatre/london/E8831343060987/Full+casting+announced+for+Mousetrap+60th+anniversary+tour.html

19 September 2012 at 16:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes! I know a few of them. :o)

That sounds like so much fun!


Jan

19 September 2012 at 21:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home