My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Decided I Must Use My Bus Ticket...

Pity to waste it. Be nice to have somewhere nice to go but there is isn't much that has a regular bus service. Unless you are mainly going to main destinations so that usually means large towns/city centres and that means shops and most towns have the same outlets and...you need money to spend...

Bus fares aren't cheap, I have been told that our main bus company has increased their fares and in the next breath towards the end of the year another service is being withdrawn. One does cut a swathe through the county and manages to run every 30 minutes between Durham and Darlington and long may it continue...a more local service after 5.30pm seems to drop back to an hourly service. And seeing how few use it I can see why then again perhaps the fact it is only available hourly might be the reason people don't use it.

I have this ticket that allows me to use the bus this week as often as I wish across the whole of the county and it's worked out at approx £3.50 a day and the other night I managed to go to Durham and back(total of approx 24 miles)and yet some guy got a single journey from a town approx 3 miles from here and he had to pay £2.40 so I was already in pocket by comparison.

I think a single journey of approx 7 miles is around £5 so a return or special ticket is a good idea but I can see why many people don't go out much...the only good thing is that it is less expensive than a taxi.

My journey to Durham and back by taxi would have cost me approx £36 more...

The disadvantage is the attempted walk at either end and having to hang around in a bus station or at a bus stop for quite a long time and perhaps not feeling safe if it is late.

Well, I had no reason really to use the ticket yesterday but I felt that I was wasting it if I didn't so i did go to a neighbouring town and did a little shop(and it was a little shop)but I was fortunate to get some fresh fish that had been reduced and some other bits and pieces which at a normal price of a bus ride or taxi would not have been worth doing as you have been spending it on the fare but as I had already paid it was worth it but because of the lack of buses I had to fill in time waiting for a bus to get me home so that stuck a couple of hours onto the trip. So I didn't get home until 9pm and by then it was raining heavily.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps some of these towns have websites with things you can do while you're there.

We have little towns here so small you could probably spit from one end to the other if you had a mind to, but remarkably, they have little museums or interesting sites that are either free or very inexpensive.

We used to go these places a lot with our boys when they were small. And because they are small the folks who run them do so because they love it and they are full of interesting facts and information and really fun to talk to.

Anyhoo...just a thought.

Jan

18 September 2012 at 19:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home