My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, September 08, 2012

Joe Longthorne...

How nice to be able to forget my troubles and worries for a couple of hours and I know that I was smiling. It has to be some thing like 25 years since "We" saw Joe when he was in summer season in Bournemouth, we were not disappointed then and I was not disappointed last night.

I don't know what went wrong but for the first 75 minutes there were to be honest quite a few empty seats in my area of the theatre and then most of those seats filled up and the ushers were bringing people in. I don't know how that worked because the Box Office would be closed by then so whether they were late or there was another reason for what happened I don't know.

But where I was sat I had a good view anyhow but three seats remained empty so my view could not have been better.

Joe's website is pretty good and has lots of information and  quite a lot of music and worth a look if you don't know him.

Joe Longthorne

The show started promptly at 7.30pm with a female stand up comic who eventually won the audience over but was more in the stamp of the kind of act you probably associate with the old club land especially around the North. She was ok but I would have preferred a shorter show and lost her. I still never caught her name and it was not on any pf the posters around the theatre. She did approx 30 minutes and we went into a 20 minute interval.

At 8.20pm Joe came on stage and entertained for 90 minutes, dressed reasonably informally in a suit, open necked short and a pair of trainers.

He did impressions of various tv personalities and did some patter. He did some impressions of singers including Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Willie Nelson, Barry Manilow, Des O'Connor, Engelbert Humperdink, Julio Ingleias, Neil Diamond.

But plenty of songs as himself too and really his choice was varied but all sure winners, all standards whether from the past or reasonably up to date. My memory is not what it was and try as I may I cannot remember as many of the songs he sang but the selection included Mandy, Till, I Left My Heart In San Francisco, The Wind Beneath My Wings, When You Walk In The Room, To All The Girls I've Loved Before, September In The Rain, Something, Love Is All, The Impossible Dream...

Someone in the audience must have been visiting family and had come along to see the show arranged by relatives and he mentioned this but next month he appears and tours in...Australia.

In fact he is touring in a variety of places up to and after Christmas so he has quite a long few months ahead. In fact performers like Joe and others really put the time in and do many dates. 50+ dates seems the norm for most of them.

Rick Wakeman who I see on Wednesday is part of a show with many comics this Sunday in London celebrating "The Golden Years Of Variety" that I would have loved to have seen and the ticket prices for a London show are quite reasonable. But it is said he  does not do many shows so if you catch one you are lucky.

I needed to rest upon coming home so will take it easy over the next day or so and then  it all starts again...different type of show on Sunday, the veteran straight man, actor and presenter Nicholas Parsons has a one man show no doubt full of anecdotes about his life and working with some of the UK's best known comedians etc...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm soooo glad you had a good time!

Sounds like it was great fun! :o)


Jan

8 September 2012 at 13:43  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Jan,
Even though I had my mobility problems it was fun and worth going. And going was reasonably easy.

If I pace myself better and rest, tomorrow may be even easier.

The first act managed to win the audience over to some extent but I still unsure if she was being used as a warm up or to give "us" a longer show.

I also suspect depending on where he appears may decide who shares the bill so she may not be with him on the rest of his UK tour and he probably adapts his show too. In a larger venue he might have an orchestra, on this show he had a backing tracks and one person accompanying him on a piano.

Also on a larger production perhaps he might do a few encores. Here when he did his last song, it was his last song.

8 September 2012 at 14:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home