My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, August 02, 2012

I Am Not Depressed As Such But...

Have lost a bit of my interest in blogging and it is I am afraid still being caused by worries over finances and the future. I would happily live in the day and can manage to do so. I have come to terms with the loss of Mum, I don't like it but I cannot change things.

But hovering around in the background are the unknowns that I have no control over.

In some ways this worry has diverted my thoughts to something else. But it does mean I am having difficulty putting it out of my mind.

It was not helped(but I have to know of these things)by watching two documentaries earlier in the week about how the assessments for whether you are ill/disabled are conducted and whether they are fair. Usually, the media portrays those who claim as scroungers/fiddlers but both these documentaries were fair but in being so frightening. I will try and link to the documentaries but within days they probably will be unavailable and if you live outside the UK access will not be available. I think that they are watchable for another three or four days...

Dispatches Britain On The Sick

Panorama Disabled Or Faking It

The difference with these documentaries is that they have managed to get into the company that carries out the tests, Dispatches has a genuine Dr going under cover and being trained to do the assessments and you hear what his trainer tells him and then he tells you what happened after he did some tests. They wanted him to change his findings.

Panorama actually follows some claimants and again manages to do some secret filming during tests.

Word has come through that although the company featured has a very bad reputation amongst those who have to come into contact with them, they have been awarded the contract to take over the assessments for some other benefits that are being replaced or introduced.

So more too worry about.

The company rarely answers any criticism and is shrouded in mystery. They have been known to threaten legal action against anything negative said against them. At least when it is seen in a documentary it can not be denied what is going on.

Unfortunately, they were broadcast against the Olympics and one was moved out of it's prime slot on a main tv channel so those who should see what's happening(and are affected or will be)by this and those who are ignorant of what is going on may have missed these important programmes.
I would love to think this is the change we've been waiting for...

Possible New WCA Descriptors 


13 Comments:

Anonymous Michelle said...

I know pops, like we've been saying in the small hours of this morning, it's the not knowing that is the worst.

It could happen tomorrow, it could happen in 6 months time or it could not happen at all. Limbo land and constantly, no wonder you can't shut off from it. :(

2 August 2012 at 19:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I hate going on and on about it like a broken record. To some extent I have my life back except for this causing me concern...

I want to enjoy a relatively simple life nothing really unusual. Eat reasonably well, be warm, be able to afford to run the few things that need power like my pc's, the radio, telephone/internet and tv. An odd trip out. That's all...

For my remaining twilight years as few worries as possible.

Being down is not me.

2 August 2012 at 20:08  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Thanks for the links Anthony. I wanted to watch those but no time.

I do understand how you feel for I am worrying all the time myself. Can I afford this rent, CT all the bills and a decent standard of food.

It is worrying and frigtening.

Cx

3 August 2012 at 08:18  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, they should not use much of your allowance Carol.

I must make it clear that I do not just feel it for people in my position but those who are working and it is all to easy to forget about the self employed such as yourself.

Too many employers as has been said pay the minimum wage(not a living wage)and I suspect this also means you cannot charge what you would like to or what you are worth because you would lose work.

Another disadvantage for you I bet is that you are unable to claim a lot of the benefits.

And as said many times workers often have to have wages topped up. Over on the other forum ;-) there are people who cannot get help, have a time limit on what they are entitled to and though you work in your own right, now often if your partner earns quite a small amount that can affect whether you can claim.

So for anyone it is a worry.

We are all in it together but not in the way that slogan has been used by those in power.

3 August 2012 at 08:48  
Blogger crl2amb said...

"let them eat cake Anthony" ;)

Well once this Olympics is over and done with, we shall see the repercussions I am sure.

We just got to live in the present my friend.

Cx

PS Did not get what you mean that they should not use much of my allowance?

3 August 2012 at 09:16  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If you watch them via your internet I don't think you'll use much of the allowance your ISP allows for your internet. I have 60gb(and unlimited overnight)

You may be on unlimited access but if you don't know your son may or you could ask your internet provider. They are depressing but worth looking at.

3 August 2012 at 09:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

In fact they are worth watching just so you can say that you cannot believe what you are seeing...

3 August 2012 at 09:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twighlight years ? You're not that old are you ? You could live another 30 years !

This is what worries me about you spending so much time in the house by yourself, you just chew things over & over in your head until you get yourself into a really pessimistic frame of mind . What did the CAB bureau say to you about how they think you'll manage long term financially.

3 August 2012 at 10:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Can you imagine being that old(great if you have your facalties but needing care or in a home :-(

Few of us will be fiancially secure.

Seriously, if I could stay warm eat reasonably well, still keep interested in the internet, have an odd holiday, listen to the radio, watch tv...I'd cope...

It's not very exciting but how many have exciting lives anyhow?

Many cannot manage now...and they are not doing anything outrageous.

I don't chew things over as you suggest, if I did not have the worry over the changes coming I am managing reasonably well...

And there are many not in my position who are living very frugally and worried what the future holds. They feel helpless.

They are also much younger than me.

3 August 2012 at 20:18  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think even the CAB are struggling and they don't have a crystal ball to decide the answer to that question...

Even charities are struggling...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/03/refuge-chief-warns-charity-close

3 August 2012 at 20:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if you told them you had something like Bi-polar dissorder they would have to take you in, then you would have your own room,be kept warm,fed and watered, all the TV and internat you want. Probably once a day you would have to walk around the garden with the therapist and they might limite the type of sites you could visit on the internat, but small beer really to what else you would get.

4 August 2012 at 14:17  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Don't know if you are talking in general terms or at/about me...

I am not Bi-Polar and I am not depressed. What I worry about is what many are or will in the situation we find ourselves.

I was talking today with...well, let's just leave it at that...his wife is almost blind, is in pain and has MS and she cannot claim much, her husband cannot claim anything even though he has to do a lot for her, if he was disabled too, he could.

Now, they make him work and under the new rules the minimum he can work before he will get help is 30 hours but he cannot find a job that will give that amount of time so he is still 6 hours below...

Another person I sopke to yesterday is in the process of having to look for a private rented house and her present home is being repossessed, she's working and not earning enough but still cannot claim any help...

There are so many cases like this and none of them could be called wasters or of trying to get something for nothing.

Elsewhere(and I have said many times how our lives are turned upside down)we have a young family who have been told that one of the parents in his early 40's has terminal cancer and it's just a matter of time and his young daughter is wanting to go to any church to pray for her "Daddy"

It must tearing the very heart out of that family going through this and wondering what the future holds...

So I talk in a negative way it's not done in a depressed way, more a matter of fact and that often we cannot cahnge things and deal with the hand we are dealt.

And sadly, we are filling in time and we only know for sure one thing.

If you have loved one's you go first and they miss you or they leave you.

Any joy is short lived. You can appreciate a work of art, a piece of music, scenery but in the end you still have to leave it all behind.

4 August 2012 at 18:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have to be bi-poler or deppressed but you could tell them you are then you would get a free room,food and stuff no more worries just put your feet up and watch the tely

6 August 2012 at 14:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home