My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Is This Sniping?

I was accused of doing so earlier about the Olympics...this comes from within.


This MP did not mince his words or hide his light under a bushel...hopefully some of the opening ceremony spoke to the ordinary person.


and on another note...


Well, those who know about things felt that Mark Cavendish stood a good chance of winning the cycle road race for Great Britain today. However, Kazakhstan's Kazakh Alexander Vinokourov came away with the gold and Cavendish also missed out on silver and bronze. I don't know enough about sport and cycling in particular to know if some tactics stopped him winning, other were better than him on the day but I do know it is reported that he thinks the race was not as it should've been. And we can only go by that. As we were not there. Even if shown on tv or radio.


I wonder how many other events in the next fortnight athletes will accept they were beaten by someone better or feel that they were robbed! There can only be one winner for each medal so if you have say 40 athletes taking part 37 will be disappointed.


No doubt what hurts is the fact that if you have been training for that moment for perhaps four years and to suddenly have nothing...it really must hit home. I'd like to think that I could accept defeat gracefully.


It's something we'll probably hear quite a lot of over the next fortnight.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Michelle said...

I understand a fair bit about road bike racing gildersleeve. It's definatily a team game but also all the teams need to play a part too. What happened in Cav's race was not good. GB were constantly heading up the second group. (second group as not to break away too early and burn out) The leader of the second group has the hardest job of all as they get the full force of the wind. The riders behind use 30% less energy. So all those countries(other than Germany really) hang back and let GB do all that work up front. GB put their all into it, seriously, to do what they did without help was astounding. I'm angry that fair play didn't come into it the tactics failed as non of them stood a change because they couldn't catch up to the main group in the end. The other countries didn't want GB to be strong (they wanted them knackered) to keep Cav out of the running but what they did was scupper their own chances because that whole group stuggled due to those GB men doing all the hard work at the front.

That's in laymens terms and not at all technically explained - and really it needs an in depth explanation as t's not that simple.

We can be very proud of our GB riders, very disappointing for everyone but they worked so so hard and were good enough - just wait till it's every man to himself ;) (I hope I don't have to eat my words!)

28 July 2012 at 20:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very well explained, thank you Michelle. I understand it better now. I was very disappointed for the GB team.

28 July 2012 at 20:45  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm thankful for the explanation Michelle and I am glad that you are around :-)

28 July 2012 at 21:30  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

They could not re-run the race and it would look bad but perhaps the so called officials should at least say something...

I did read somewhere the winner had in the past been in trouble over doping.

28 July 2012 at 21:34  
Anonymous Michelle said...

that's just road racing really gildersleeve. They didn't do anything naughty just I don't feel, and many others don't feel, that it was entirely in the name of good sportsmanship. We were victims of our great name in the sport. It really was us versus the world :o/

We have to also remember that those other 4 GB members rode for 6 hours today, they rode solidly to help Cav get into the medal runnings. They knew this wasn't their greatest day but worked themselves ragged for Cav... knowing that they have their own events in a few days. True dream team stuff huh.

Gildersleeve, I look forward to getting back to normal i.e. me listening and learning from you :)

28 July 2012 at 22:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home