My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Hopefully I Have Some New Readers...

So whether you read occasionally, leave comments or decide not to...welcome.

Things have been difficult finding myself alone and sometimes posts have been negative but I think dare I say that is to be expected. Even staring my own mortality in the face. Realising I am on the wrong side of 50!

There's an admission...Mum and myself never thought about age. We lived for the day and worked on the premise that "Age is only a number!" It's what you feel inside even if your body tells you different.

Income has dropped a lot since losing Mum and as has been said, things are going to get tighter and I have no idea how bad it will be. You are caught between a rock and a hard place because if you are given help from the State they decide what will give you an acceptable standard of living. To be honest most struggle and it isn't great.

You soon discover how to become frugal/thrifty call it what you will. Most of what you spend will be on Rent/mortguage, Council tax(It gets called a few names-some unrepeatable Smiley in the past officially they were called The Poll Tax/Community Charge)

Having lived this way for approx 3 months(Is it really that long since I lost Mum)I have to say at this minute I may be able to leave my heating on longer, eat better and not keep switching everything off. The point is if you don't spend it, it will be taken from you.

Equally, though it is good to have some spare cash for emergencies(things break and need replacing/repairing)You may need some clothes...I need some new furniture and carpets(I've only held off in case I was wasting money, If I  have to move and I would not want to leave items behind)You may need to travel more one week to the next.

I could get out more but that costs money, if you need to use taxi's as I do because of mobility problems and as joints stiffen that's another reason why I have to stay warm when indoors.

Quick trips around the town are cheapish £2.50-£3.50 but if you can walk a little you are attempting exercise which you are supposed to do. They usually tell you don't just sit. Then again travel 6-7 miles and that can suddenly be nearer £15(£30 round trip)depending on the company used, whether they use a meter etc...)

Two or three journeys at that price and you soon go through money. So maybe I should travel more out of the town

New changes being introduced over coming months will affect many people and they will have to become frugal and treats will be rare so whilst I can I think I am going to go and see some local theatre shows.

It gets me out and it's more than just going down the street to the shops day after day and it will feed me emotionally and give me something to look forward to, I'll mix with others socially and have memories. And a few on here have told me to get out more, so this is one way.

I am fairly certain I will be £1,600 worse off annually at some point. And I know another benefit is being scrapped and the replacement is 20% less so that could lose me another £1,600 and if I don't fit the criteria for the replacement it could be worse. That's between the bedroom tax and the change to this benefit.

Then we'll have to see what if anything I am entitled to(less if I have come into Mum's money)but hope as that reduces I will be helped again...but there are so many unknowns.  So for anyone who thinks it's easy...it's not!

I have told the story about seeing Joe Brown, I can mention that again nearer the time of the concert and tell you what I thought. I hope to be there unless something happens to stop me(I have my ticket)but I do know I need an operation and fear that if I sort that out now, I may miss him. Of course that may be taken out of my hands. I could still miss the concert if that plays up. I hope not.

Anyhow, there are few shows(still some spare seats)that I quite would like to see(Up to seven)but having that frugal frame of mind I keep thinking should I? I suppose in reality it works out around about the equivalent of £1 a day so perhaps I'll just go for it!

I don't know how many of those I am hoping to see are known outside these shores, some are "Getting on a bit!"Smiley so perhaps it's the last chance to see them. Listen to me...as if I'm not! What's that saying about policeman are looking younger these days?

The shows I am interested in are *Clare Teal, **Martha Reeves(the Motown Diva)Joe Longthorne, Rick Wakeman, The Rat Pack(recreating the shows starring Sinatra, Martin and Davis Jr)A 60's night with  Gerry and The Pacemakers, The Animals, PJ Proby and Chip Hawkes and some comedy with Ken Dodd. I have seen Joe and Ken before but a long time ago...

Though these shows happen in September and October, it's a bit like having one every two months if spread over the year.

If I went on holiday I could spend at least that amount(I haven't been to the theatre for perhaps 20+ years or had a holiday for 14 years)Being frugal is probably why I can consider treating myself.

Today, I am travelling to see my Auntie and Uncle(there aren't many relatives left now)and this week I will finally have to think about arranging Mum's laying to rest(and I'd like Mum's brother and his wife to be with me)when it happens. I think I will use the cremation's garden of remembrance.

It is as nice as anywhere and still reasonably near to me. Then perhaps I'll look into having some kind of inclusion in a book of remembrance but in the church we worshipped in on the town to make it even easier for me to get to. Also I think inclusion is free or if not it is not as expensive.

*Cancelled **Still to decide whether to go(if any tickets remain)

14 Comments:

Blogger broadcastellan said...

Of course you have readers! I admire the candor with which you express your thoughts and lay bare your feelings in this journal. Your writing is so personal that commenting seems almost an intrusion to me.

Now that I am butting in, I am wondering whether some armchair travelling might not be such a bad idea: an occasional return to the world from one of whose most colorful characters you borrowed the name by which you are known to us here—the free and remarkably fresh air of so-called old-time radio.

Best wishes, Harry

30 July 2012 at 10:40  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

How kind Harry and good to have you leave comment(and support)thank you...

Yes I should do as you suggest and I too should get back to visiting(from my armchair, some of the blogs, your's included as I used to :-)

Thank you for sticking with me and reading.

As you have said sometimes reading is enough(and you never know who is...)

30 July 2012 at 13:15  
Blogger crl2amb said...

I think you should treat yourself to any theatre you can Gildy. It takes you out of yourself for a couple of hours and that is a priceless gift I believe.

Cx

PS. I am going to see John Shuttleworth and friends in September, was wondering if you had ever come across him in your radio listening? No matter the cost, I will go to any live show of his that I can.

30 July 2012 at 13:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes, John Shuttleworth :-) Been listening to him for years.

Think I'll go for the theatre shows and book them in the next day or two.

Do it whilst I can...it's the taxi's that cost but what do I prefer spend it or lose it!

I'm for saving but as said earlier if I did and was over a very small limit I'd lose it, save too much and say nothing, I'd be in trouble even though I'm entitled to it. If saved it's there in the hard times and will still be used.

You really cannot win. One benefit they say is your's to do with what you wish and is not taken into account with other money received so why do they not allow you to save it if you can?

I'm running late better get ready and go and see my auntie and uncle...

30 July 2012 at 13:50  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Hope you've had a lovely day visiting gildersleeve (please can I call you pops here? :(

I feel a little bit like a duck out of water as I don't share the same musical interests so can't comment on that but I can tell you that you've had some of our lovely posters on you know where worried today, as they hadn't seen you about. So pleased I checked here and found you were out and about and busy. :)

I do a lot of blog hopping but they tend to be creative/frugal women/crochet/mummy and kids blogs. I'm not very cultured you see. :o/

30 July 2012 at 20:59  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Hope you had a good day visiting your relatives Anthony.

Cx

30 July 2012 at 23:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Michelle,
I am touched that I was missed. Of course you can call me Pop's :-)

I am hope that I am still welcome there talking about being thrifty but I feel a bit of a fraud in that having showed that I can survive on less...

At this minute I probably can do what I thought I would not able to so as My Auntie and Uncle said "Enjoy yourself whilst you may!"

We know the future will change for the reasons mentioned in the post so for now if I can buy better food, use taxi's, keep the heating and electric on longer do it.

As I said I feel guilty suggesting I have holiday or go to the theatre and find it difficult to lose the mindset of spending less or saving for the hard times.

It's obscene but the taxi to see my relatives cost me in total...£50.

What I could do with that!

31 July 2012 at 00:04  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Carol,
I probably stayed longer than I should and what a job to get a taxi home...

But it went OK...Thanks!

31 July 2012 at 01:15  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I seem to have become the Grandad to many suddenly :-)

I'm sure we'll learn from each other Michelle...

31 July 2012 at 04:59  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Don't at all feel guilty pops. Not so long ago I made a quip about a Radley bag. They're very expensive bags and cost around £80 and up. I dare suggested that I had one from 10 years ago and still going strong. Loads of us OSers admitted we had one too.

I think many people are on there to cut right back so the can have a little treat or luxury. And pops, by taking a taxi or having a can of lager or a visit to theatre is not a wasteful or extravagant lifestyle ;)

Coourse you're welcome there. You were missing for a few hours and people were worried! xx

31 July 2012 at 07:40  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Ah Anthony, it's a shame you worry so much but that's you (and I share the same trait) but it's what makes you empathetic to othere peoples' points of view.

I am glad you had a good time and I am looking forward to reading about your future jaunts!

Cx

31 July 2012 at 08:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I tried to book my ticket for the Clare Teal concert, she's under new management and the show has been cancelled.

I decided to talk to a person so I phoned the box office and kept being told the operators were unavailable, then the box office was closed and the annoucement changed and said the box office closes at 6pm when there is no show on that night.

So in other words nobody was there all the times I was phoning!

So when they kept saying operators were unavailable why could they not just add that into the message?

So I went back online and found great seats(only a few remaining)but forgot my password, when I got it again, my chosen seats had gone and I now have the last available seat for all the shows but I am 6 rows further back. Oh well, at least I have a seat...

31 July 2012 at 21:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Havn't you been granted probate on your Mother's money yet ?

2 August 2012 at 16:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Though open, that's my business(If you saw the comment I deleted before this you'll know)I will be seeing the CAB again soon(for general advice about my situation)and hopefully they'll keep me right, if not I'll find a solicitor or a welfare rights advisor...

2 August 2012 at 20:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home