My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wellbeing Index Points Way To Bliss...

live on a remote island and don't work!

Ages ago I posted on here with some responses, about the proposed survey that has now been completed(link supplied above)

We thought it was a waste of time. Happiness is relevant to the situation that you find yourself.

Compared to someone who is terminally ill or in a home with dementia...I have much to be thankful for. Compared to someone with starving children living in a parched dessert the same. Someone who has shells reigning down on them in Syria would probably give all that they own to be in relative safety.

We can dig out so many examples...

Many would be happy and content to have loved ones around them, money to pay bills, a roof over their heads, eat reasonably well and stay warm. And have as good health as possible. We may like more but to be honest most of the population in any country is locked in to a daily routine of working, having a little bit of time with the family, going to bed and doing it all over again for years and years and years.

Very few are so well healed that they can do a job that is rewarding or earns/has enough savings that they have the choice. That they can just take off and go where they want when they want.

It was different work in past centuries and harder physically but in reality most of the population is still working hard and work is the centre of their world. And yet someone involved in this survey when interviewed on the radio said something along the lines of we work too many long hours and do not spend enough time with family. Who is to blame for that I wonder?

A lot of employers still take advantage of employees and do not pay a loving wage. Employees in work worry about keeping the jobs that they have finding work and this allows the employer to pick and choose and set the wage at a low level.

Then most of the policies the Government have are not family friendly and as soon as you drop your child they are doing all they can to have you return to work, put children into care or if you have parents they are called in to look after the Grandchildren.


If you work it can be difficult to obtain time off work. If you are unemployed or ill, you may have the time but not the money to go away and if you claim benefits the restrictions mean that if you try benefits will stop.


Many at present are worried about the austere measures that are being introduced and the unknowns the future holds.

Am I happy? Am I content? I could not say that I am happy but neither am  I depressed. And what has affects me I have no control over and cannot change.

It's interesting that overall the survey suggests that many people are at their happiest when not working. I am sure the survey is being done so the Government can put a positive spin on life in the UK.

Really the survey is a waste of time and money...

3 Comments:

Blogger crl2amb said...

My ideal would be a three day week at work and four off! It really annoys me that I never have time to do anything that I want, that I am a slave to earning a wage to keep a roof over my head and a very basic lifestyle. On the other hand I am extremely fortunate that I am healthy enough to work, it is such a fine balance.

I absolutely love being at home, but if it was day in day out, with no money to do anything (not that I have much as it is!) - I am sure I would be crawling the walls.

These surveys are pretty pointless as you say, but they pay good money to somebody somewhere!!

What I find frightening is that for anyone who becomes ill now, they are likely to be treated very badly as the system has been so abused they are cracking down on everyone, instead of tackling the very obvious frauds years ago.

I guess they know what their purpose is though. (rolls eyes)

Cx

25 July 2012 at 17:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, said Carol.

The trouble is in work, out of work or ill...we all wonder what income we'll have to see us through our years of retirement...

25 July 2012 at 19:49  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It's one thing to be thrifty/frugal but it's ok when you do it because you want to and still can treat yourself. It's a different matter when you do it because you have no choice.

I wonder how many of those who took part in this survey will be happy if asked next time. It will be another sample of the public that will be collared.

26 July 2012 at 06:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home