My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I've Signed Up...

Is it a good deal? I don't know, today I spoke to a representative of N Power and he has estimated my gas and electric will cost approx £960 for both electric and gas over the year. As opposed to approx £865 which I was quoted yesterday. But If I spend less it could come out less. After 6 months they look at the amount I am spending. I have to keep supplying meter readings on line. They have taken £145 off the annual bill through signing up to Direct Debit and looking after my account on line.

There is a standing charge but the Rep said that they give you a reduced unit price to compensate. I hate those standing charges. Had I gone with EDF as originally planned they had standing charges, they all seem to do it.

I think meters should be free but I don't think you should have to pay line rental on the phone(until mobile phones were as popular)as the only way you could receive and make calls required a land line to get the service of a phone company, they should supply that for free. And to stop people moving over to mobiles when at home, they could/should reduce the price we pay for renting a phone line.

For now even being frugal I will have to find approx £80 a month(£20 a week)I hope that I can...It is less than the gas bill was when Mum was here(I'd happily pay the high bills to have her still here with me)I think we were paying approx £1,600 over the year for gas alone. And at least £800 for the electric and now it may be nearer £500. It's still guess work for the company and myself. You may ask why we were never offered a different tariff to what we were on all those years. Being on a new tariff has reduced what I pay too.

I haven't really changed my habits regarding electric and now for it to be cheaper is a bit baffling. We've come to the conclusion that possibly when the gas central heating is on it uses an electric pump to move the water around the system and perhaps that was making the electric more expensive.

Any savings are temporary because even if you cut back and use less you know prices will increase but at what point does it reach where you just cannot reduce your use any more and afford what you use?

They've decided I will spend £45 for electric and £35 for gas. So that's approx £3 a day. Then with the phone, internet, tv licence and budget meals added, that's approx £6.80 daily. So the rest in time will be taken up with the rent, council tax food and all the usual costs(possibly the use of taxi's/buses to go somewhere)when something breaks down etc...and needs replacing/repairing, clothes and so on...

All I could give up would be the internet/phone and tv. Which when on a low income and not going out much is not much to keep you entertained or in touch with the world.

In fact I think most of the incomes of the population is taken up with paying rent(mortguage)utility bills, Council Tax and it leaves very little for food and  little for entertainment amd that is probably why people spend such a lot of time being passive by watching tv, playing on games stations or the internet.
It's a reasonably basic life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home