My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

More Jobs Have Been Lost...

Since Tuesday the local supermarket has been using shopping trolleys where you have to put a £1 into a mechanism to free them. We've all been asking why and saying they are not stolen and if you try to take them off the premises they don't work.

Today the penny dropped...

They've sacked the people that collected the trolleys and returned them to the collection point in all weathers. So as the customer has to pay a £1, they return them to get the money back!

I assume this has been rolled out at every branch across the UK. Here I think we were talking of approx 3-4 people and I would guess roughly working 10am until 6pm but add that up over every branch...I bet they were on minimum wages too.

I have my trolley and it's easy to move around and I can put bulky items in it on those occasions(few)where I have to bring such items home. I'm still very slow/unsteady and have to rest when I get home, often during my excursions outdoors but it is nice that sometimes money once spent on taxi's can now be saved for emergencies or pay for extra food.

(Tonight, I was able to bring home 4 litres of water and 2litres of lemonade, some tinned items, limited edition cereal - Fruit Loops, bread, some vegetables, some cooked ham.(I looked for the cheapest drink I could find and found a couple of bottles of cider for a treat...so saved about 80p compared to other brands)But that would be dropped if things became even tighter. And if they add that levy they keep talking about, it will definitely be a rarity.

I am still using what I have in the house from a few months ago but am rationing what I use and trying to keep some in my store room for when times are tough.

And I have my ruck sack for the very small shopping trips as though it holds a lot, it would not do my shoulders and back a lot of good. And the other night I found one of my knees felt as though it was under pressure and might give out.

My life generally revolves around a small area. But I pick the days that I feel I can cope. And I adapt  quite well and hope that I will as long as possible. I hope help will not be forced on me as it was Mum, that it will be given when I decide I need it.

But when I look around here, for a variety reasons probably best part of my neighbours don't stray far from home.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

our Asda has the £1 scheme and blokes who shift them about.What happens (you can tell them this if they are getting rid of your trolley guys)is people tend to bung up one trolley station with trolleys blocking up the parking spaces and leave the other trolley stations with no trolleys in at all- so you still need the trolley guys,the other thing is without the trolley guys there would be baskets left all over the place.

22 July 2012 at 23:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think that you make a very valid point. The way I approach the store I am straight on to the main trolley bank and entrance, the same coming out and now using a ruck sack/my own shopping trolley, I manage but most of the people that arrive by car come in from a different direction.

Unless they close the banks of trolleys in another area of the car park so the customer has to return to the main one, that could be a problem.

I wonder if they could ask another member of staff to move the trolley's?

I wonder if we'll suddenly see some teenagers doing the work via a work scheme programme virtually for free(or working for their benefits)

23 July 2012 at 00:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trolley shifters are still working at my supermarket. We've paid £1 for ages and it hasn't changed anything.

23 July 2012 at 07:12  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Once again tonight it was obvious the trolley shifters have been let go...

I wonder if the other companies will follow suit...

24 July 2012 at 21:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home