My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm Still Not Excited About The Olympics...

but an odd story still filters through to me and you just know that no event is error free but day one and we mess up on one of the simplest things possible. I suspect someone pressed a wrong button or the software was loaded incorrectly but the first of the Olympic events took place yesterday...Women's football in Cardiff, Wales and Glasgow, Scotland.

So what went wrong?

We already know how difficult the relationship is between North and South Korea. So tonight when the names and images of the North Korean Women's football team were shown on the screens in the stadium, the featured flag belonged to...South Korea. Oops!

The game was delayed but did eventually get under way. It is said that there were only a couple of hundred spectators watching.

What will happen next?

I hear good reports about the opening ceremony but the amount of money it's cost to stage it should be. Maybe I am missing something special but I won't be watching.

When I can listen to the report again there are lots of questions still being asked about many of the businesses that were moved/cleared from the location they set up the Olympic site and also some housing areas that already offered what is often called affordable housing.

They reckon when the Olympic area is dismantled they are having difficulty getting investors and property developers interested in building new properties there and the so called affordable housing they say that will be built most think will be anything but.

A lot of hype and spin, mainly originating from Government sources...surprise, surprise.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you may be gloating here abut the flag error, and I really think you would like GB to fail.....very unsporting. How about loyalty to your country!

26 July 2012 at 11:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

No, not gloating at all and of course I hope my country does well but it will as with many of these kind of events become political and give the PM chance to be smug and play the world stage, distract the popuation from the problems we are all facing.

Let those who want to watch and listen to Olympics enjoy it.

That error was pretty basic considering all the planning that has gone into the event.

If you are one of those who are following the event, I hope that it is all you hope it to be...

26 July 2012 at 15:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Also the Olympics have gone the way of most events and the ideals to some extent have been lost and hijacked.

26 July 2012 at 16:01  
Blogger crl2amb said...

How about embarrassed rather than "gloating"...seriously, what an odd thing to say?

I agree Anthony, crazy mistake - makes us look totally incompetent at organising anything. That old joke about putting Oliver Reed in charge of Oddbins...comes to mind.

I am concerned that there is still no sign of VQ?

Cx

26 July 2012 at 17:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Carol,

So am I with VQ's disappearance and all I have is an e-mail address.

I have often said if anything happens to any of us and there is no contact details left with trusted people we have known on the internet we could disappear and no one would know what had happened to us...

Of course mistakes happen and often I sometimes think when the head of a company resigns and has had a good track record it is unfair because even if you liase with your managers and staff believing you are doing all you can to see eveything is above board, you can still miss something perhaps due to them deliberately keeping you in the dark.

If it can be proved the error is really serious and it is your fault...that's a different matter especially if it has resulted in the harm of someone.

That matters(or should above all else)

The expression about gloating came up in an earlier post about something and I cannot remember what it was over and I said then "I don't gloat!"

So this anon may be the same one as before?

I never know...

The head of the organisation in charge of running the Olympics apologised this morning and was no doubt genuine, I don't see this as a sackable offence though. Just unfortunate it happened with a team from N. Korea.

Would other teams be as public in their unhappiness or accept that these things happen. Some countries are more easily upset/touchy than others.

26 July 2012 at 18:49  
Blogger crl2amb said...

I shall make sure my son lets you know should anything happen to me Anthony. :)
Cx

27 July 2012 at 13:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'll have to try and think of someone who could tell you if anything happens to me too, lets hope its a long way off...
Ant :-)

27 July 2012 at 20:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home