My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, February 03, 2012

Where Does The Time Go?

Tomorrow, it will be twenty eight years since my Father passed away. I remember the problems I had asking for time off from where I worked to look after him. We weren't busy and in reality I wasn't being missed nor was I being paid whilst not working. Then I had phone calls and hassle asking when I could be expected to return. I resigned.

I remember how eventually he had to be admitted to hospital and we were told that they could not get him better and it was only a matter of time...

How we walked down to the town centre whilst hospital staff did what they have to do and how we cried all the way, how we tried to have a cup of tea and a snack(in a kind of restaurant within a big departmental store)that's long since disappeared.
We went home in the evening to be called back almost immediately.

We arrived at the hospital and just missed him passing away.

The nurse said that he thought he was at home...he asked for a drink of water, as she left the room she turned around and thought something wasn't quite right, she went over to him and he'd gone...

I remember returning another day for his few personal possessions another sad day...you go in with a person and come out with a carrier bag of a few items of clothing or whatever.

The church was full of people and there was little if any space for anyone else to attend.

The Crematorium was having some repairs done so the service was held in an old church on the same site(Dad loved old buildings etc...)so ironically it was appropriate that it was used for him.

Mum doesn't remember but I remember her rushing to the window where the curtain closed on Dad's coffin and her being gently taken into the arms of the vicar who comforted her.

Its been a long time since I visited the Crematorium to see the Book Of Remembrance but it is a little difficult to visit and there is a very long walk when you get there. To think it will be open again tomorrow and for a few hours his name will be there for anyone who happens to visit the little room where the book is.

But we always remember what we had written in it...

My Father's name and our names of course followed by the simple words..."Resting in God's garden, Dearly loved and sadly missed"

How true that is...

I'm not sure if I mentioned it on my blog before but Mum and Dad were as much in love with each other in the final years as when they met. I'm sure as with all marriages there were difficult times but I do remember when through work he had to attend some kind of course in Derby and we missed him so much. He didn't want to do much either so he phone...he even wrote some letters to Mum and myself and in the evening he just stayed in his hotel room and read a book. He was a very big reader...he loved books.

When it was time for him to come home and he met Mum from where she worked it was remarked on how excited she was to see him.

Mum first met him after going to a local venue where most of this areas seemed to go(mainly on a Saturday night for a dance)and she'd seen him walk across the floor and been attracted but never thought she'd see him again.

Then upon waiting in the queue for a bus to go home Mum was being jostled and she felt an arm guide her back into the line(and it was him)they started talking, he walked her home and...

In those days he had a look of the film star Ronald Coleman and had a moustache to match.

When Mum was in hospital(with me, I was born prematurely)he could see Mum from a window so he park his car nearby and clean the car or whatever just so they could still have some kind of contact(visiting a hospital was very different in those days)

Also he nearly lost Mum(let alone me)and he spent all the hours you can think praying all night that we'd be safe, though I suppose his priority was Mum as he did know me yet. And he'd lost his own Mother in child birth having him so it was a little like history repeating itself.

All turned out well in the end.

7 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Wonderful post Gildy. Nicely written and with such feeling; reminds me of the similarities with my own dad (how he and my mother met etc) and how she never got over it really, also similarities in that he was cremated, the overflowing service, and 'put in God's garden' etc. The only difference was it was quite sudden, point of retirement, hardly ever ill, collapses at the airport on way to the USA.

4 February 2012 at 09:06  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you Span...
I really don't know enough about the early life of my parents.

Actually, the simularities to your own situation don't stop with my post as my dad also rarely seemed to be ill in his life and he never had a day in hospital until the end.

And whereas your Dad was about to retire...mine I think only managed perhaps a year or eighteen months if that!

I can understand the shock for your Mum(and family)and how she never really got over it.

I suspect many of us have more in common than we realise...

4 February 2012 at 12:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I don't remember the weather being bad when we lost Dad andthought it was quite mild but had I atempted to go through to see the Book of Remembrance it turned into a very nasty day and not a good one for being on the roads.

I ventured out for a small shopping trip(a few streets from where I live)that was enough.

It was really cold and it started to snow and even now with the Central Heating on and it must be cold for me to say this...I don't feel warm so I suspect we'll be having lots of hot drinks and some food to help avoid that.

And yes, I'm going under the bedclothes.

Upstairs is always warmer than downstairs helped by the pipes under the floorboards but that isn't helping tonight.

At least in our present situation(and with Mum still here)I can keep the heating on but if I was alone and on a reduced income, I really would be struggling.

4 February 2012 at 19:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dad went in the same month and day as your Dad, but not the same year.He himself, always hated that time between after Christmas and the clocks going forward.
In the years before he got ill,I had a job where I was working all hours of the day and night and probably smoking about 40 a day. One day 'I saw the light' and just packed it in as I could not stand it anymore. Although I now had no income I had the precious commodity of spending time with my Dad (and later looking after him)as I didnt realise this was going to be his final years. The trouble is now I am pretty much unemployable LOL, but after seeing lives in hospitals being humiliated by cancer etc I really couldnt careless about getting back on the grindstone.

6 February 2012 at 20:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can see where you are coming from and I think that you have your priorities right and realised how important your relationship was and I can understand why you would not wish to be back in the rat race.

If you are still quite young sadly, I feel many of us will have little choice.

I actually wish I was of retirement age and therefore would be left alone but I still have approx 14 years to go and if they keep putting the age that you can retire further back that could increase.

6 February 2012 at 23:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Mom passed on the same day, too, Gildy, only it was seven years ago.

I don't think it's unusual for them to go when people leave. I think they feel they can let go, ya' know?

My Mom had my sister and all my nieces around her (I had to work that night), but she waited until they were all asleep.

I wonder if your Mum would like to talk about your Dad. It's different for everyone, but sometimes they like to remember and talk about the old days.

Thinking of you both,
Jan

8 February 2012 at 20:50  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think what you say is true Jan.
What is it about February 4th?

That's three of us so far who have been touched in this way.

We remembered him and talked during the day.

We are who we are are because we come from a close family and we are sensitive. In some ways it means it hurts more perhaps, then again perhaps it makes things easier becasuse we know how fortunate we have been and have probably had something many do not experience in their lives.

8 February 2012 at 21:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home