My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

If I Hear That...

We are not a conventional couple one more time I really feel like swinging for someone. Who are we being compared to?

Dare I suggest that we may be right and others could be wrong...Social Services and whoever else are not going into every single home in the UK so how do they know what is conventional. Substitute conventional for "Normal"

What is normal?

If you are not hurting anyone and are happy why not accept that and stop trying to get "Us" to fit into a pigeon hole or a criteria that suits a model.
We eat, drink and sleep. Listen to music and the radio, watch a bit of tv, we shop. I come on here a bit. Our situation financially and because of health problems rule out some things that others do and we don't. Otherwise, I really cannot see how we are classed as being so different.

There are many people living singularly or with a parent/parents. Is it really so unusual?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many of those in horrendous OAP homes are there because their family cannot face up to or be bothered looking after them.
People are all individuals moulded by what life has thrown at them,so there is no ...normal.Once we get to the stage (and we are getting there)where everybody is the same, the human race might as well give up altogether.
The sooner those (who perhaps lack experience of life?)realise this and stopped trying to compartmentalise those they are employed to help,then care in this country may move forward just a little bit?

1 February 2012 at 21:10  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Oh that's so true Anon...I do care and we have gone along with just about everything that they ask.

We're so easy but that does not mean we'll be walked over.

They don't ask or talk directly to us.

We really are not doing anything strange or funny.

I'll feed and change Mum when necessary(I can do it gently)and have it down to perhaps 2-3 minutes no matter how little or much it takes a particular day.

She is warm, happy and content(considering)and for now she is not stressed and relaxed.

Then they turn up and change everything.

Its like the bath routine...they are not proper baths(I can give more time and give Mum's hair a more thorough wash)

But even if you accept the carer has to do it as part of a care plan Mum could be in need of a clean immediately after her bath.

Of course she should have baths they are good for you but every time she is changed I wash and clean the area so if they are worried about keeping her hygenic, its happening.

And if the carer has been told she is too involved and to "Back Off!" that is the opposite of what we want of those who care as a profession. Many don't!

1 February 2012 at 22:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home