My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Some Songs Are So Miserable...

If true in their lyric content...

"My Way"* probably the best known version is by Frank Sinatra. Another is "It Was A Very Good Year" By Frank Sinatra. "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks. "September Song" by Walter Houston, the actor(I think)Other versions of all these songs are available as no doubt are other songs too.

But Bless the Bride the Musical has so many well known songs more than I realised.
See the link below...

Bless The Bride Background

But "This Is My Lovely Day" from this musical just annoys me. Sometimes you don't know why one does so more than another. The opening line is something like...

"This is my lovely day...it is the day I shall remember on the day I am dying!"

Good grief!

*So many of the songs we know have often been adapted or were originally from other countries where English is not the main language. In the 50's and 60's so many of the songs that entered the UK charts were often from Italy, Spain and France.

My Way is one such song which was known as Comme d'habitude and the English lyrics written by Paul Anka I understand bare no resemblance to the original. The original song was written and sung by the French singer Claude François. Claude had an unfortunate death, it is said that he was standing in a bath and with wet hands he tried to change or alter a light bulb and was accidentally electrocuted.

I don't think that I have heard it myself(If I have I am still here )but there is one song with the reputation of being really depressing and said to have caused some people to take there own lives...that could be an urban myth. It was banned by the BBC for quite some time.

Its called "Gloomy Sunday"

(Links added after the blog entry was written)

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Morrissey and The Smiths: gloomy made great.

30 January 2012 at 10:46  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes they did when you think about it! :-)

30 January 2012 at 13:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home