My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Paul McCartney Sings Jazz?

I never thought when I heard that his latest CD(Kisses On The Bottom*)was going to be a jazz album, he would carry it off but allowing for the fact that he has gone for standards and a couple of new compositions, he's gone about it the right way by stripping the songs down to bare minimum.

The musicians that accompany him are mainly playing guitar, piano(Diana Krall)and drums(some light strings on some songs)and Paul sings very intimately and close to the mike so no straining or shouting.

It helps that the selection of songs are familiar and great standards.

Nice and easy on the ear. Not demanding.

It was released on the 6th February 2012, recorded at the Capitol studios in Hollywood USA and the microphone Paul sang into was the one used by Nat King Cole.

Unfortunately, my version is missing a bonus track. And I understand that there are guest appearances from Stevie Wonder and Eric Clapton but I don't have access to the booklet that is usually in the jewel case with a CD and has more details.

(*Taken from the lyrics of the song "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter")

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they just had something about this on either R2 or R6, Gildy.

If I find it again, I'll let you know.

Jan

8 February 2012 at 20:55  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Jan,
He gave a "Big" interview to Jamie Cullum on Radio 2(Tuesday 7th February 2012 at 7pm)and they played quite a few tracks off the CD.

I hope you are well...as can be. I know we all have some serious things to cope with. I really have found myself distracted lately(but I know who my friends are...)but I have tried to listen to a few programmes again or at least burn them to listen to later.

8 February 2012 at 21:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Another interview with Paul(available as a podcast)Front Row BBC Radio 4 2012 02 10 and you do get a slightly different take on this programme compared with the previous one on Radio 2.

10 February 2012 at 20:12  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I will buy or download new artists and music if it attracts me but I do seem quite often to be playing catch up and trying to build up music by artists of the past or looking for definitive collectons giving the best retrospective of someone's career(especially, if they've been going for decades)

And in recent months nearly all my purchases have been of artists no longer with us or who are still going strong and are around the 70+ age range...Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett and Paul McCartney.

They still sound good(yes, their vocal range will be affected)but if they choose their material carefully, they still sound fine and if they want to continue singing why shouldn't they?

To some extent they are able to continue because most of the time they have looked after their voices.

18 February 2012 at 17:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home