My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, October 06, 2011

You've Heard Stories Where...

Someone has a cleaner that keeps a home tidy and before the cleaner arrives the home owner has a tidy round so it doesn't look as bad even though that's why you have hired a domestic in the first place...

Well, I'm the primary carer for Mum but in time as the disease takes more of a hold we will be given more care but for now its one visit per day or as arranged at present, alternative days...

So any work this carer/nurse does for now, it could be as this morning, I've already cleaned Mum up and done in reality what she's coming to do minutes after I have done what she's going to and its likely throughout the day I will be doing so again. What she does here at 9.30am isn't going to last until the next visit.

So at this minute I'm not sure what we've gained by asking for or being given so called extra help.

I know the idea is good and in time we'll need extra help and be thankful of it so I'm not knocking it but...

I promised to get a washing machine in and the Social Worker and District Nurse said its a necessity but with extra bedding and the amount of time in reality spent washing, I think I can manage as I am and it doesn't take that much time out of being with Mum. They say time gained using a washer means more time with Mum and quality time at that.

When the time comes and its just me, I have very little to wash so I probably will find it just as easy to hand wash a couple of shirts and an odd blanklet so I may never turn the machine on so it will be an expensive gadget just sitting there...doing nothing. So I'm not so sure whether to order one or not.

The best thing about a washer might be using it not for blankets but towels which are thicker.

Update:Mum's got away with it today but on Saturday she is getting a full bed bath and creaming of her skin and so I have to get supplies in later today or tomorrow...a washing bowl, dove moisturising shower gel, towels, face cloths and the like. Whatever time Mum has we must keep her comfortable and give her quality of life.

Oh how I pray for a miracle in a week's time when we go back to the hospital for the results, hope is all it can be.

Our carer was booked for an hour and stayed approx 30 minutes today(if Mum says no you cannot force her to have care but Saturday will be different I'm sure)

I've purchased or got together some bath sponges, some shower gel that lathers up nicely, the carer thinks its better than soap etc...(I wanted Dove)but had to make do with Simple which I am told is also good. A kind of hand bowl, many hand towels and face cloths and I have some bath towels that I think are suitable.

I'll be watching because I may need to copy this myself later.

I've already seen how to apply barrier cream and managed that ok.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, why do you always think up arguements against all the advice you've been given ?

6 October 2011 at 12:38  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I don't mean to but I guess all kinds of thoughts go through your mind.

Its all new to me...

6 October 2011 at 13:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home