My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

While I Am Able...

Isn't nice to talk about food...a subject I return to often...now I have been sorry to see that this year after becoming quite a fan of cherries, they are seemingly in short supply and what I am able to find are terrifically expensive. Maybe, whilst I am able I should just enjoy them and hang the cost. And when I look at what I spend overall on food it probably would make little if any difference. The difference is that the cost is too much in comparison to how big the portion is for the price they are charging but it is all relative.

I have to laugh, North Star is a big fan of cherries as I am sure he will tell you and he lives in the States and at present they are hard to get hold of but I have just told him that putting cost aside, the cherries I have seen in the supermarket are from...the USA!

However, for many years I have not eaten Jersey Royal potatoes...perhaps because of cost but there was a time I seem to remember that we decided that perhaps they did not taste particularly special even though chefs and food experts/writers would say otherwise. But the local supermarket has been running a promotion and a 1Kg bag has been only costing £1, that's cheaper than their usual potatoes of many other varieties. So I purchased a few bags and they are lovely...with a little butter. I am going to try something different in the next day or two as I have added some chopped garlic to the butter and will put that on them. I assume because the demand for Jersey Royals is high over here and the availability of them is relatively short...they will remain unknown to those living in the States but that happens with many items enjoyed there not being available here.

Another vegetable that I have neglected for a long time but have rediscovered(well two actually)I have been cooking leeks(and surprisingly Mum has enjoyed that)and tonight I also added some celery, that also added into the mix...I am happy to have done that because many times I have been buying celery to use in salad and often a salad does not get prepared and the celery is thrown out...also, in a salad it tends to be eaten raw and that makes it crunchy and of course when you are missing some teeth as we both are it's not the easiest vegetable to eat. But now I can roast it and add it in with other vegetables and also if I make some homemade soup again I can put it in as an ingredient.

I have also rediscovered what was once probably very popular years ago and a desert associated with childhood and that is an Artic Roll or an ice cream roll...basically a block of ice cream(usually vanilla flavoured)surrounded by a kind of sponge covering. A simple desert by itself or(and I have just thought of this)I have them in my pantry sitting there unused possibly with a squirt of some kind of fruit or chocolate sauce. Or as I often do now add some fresh fruit.

On promotion(and I know that you have to watch salt intake(especially regarding blood pressure and kidney problems)but if used carefully it is said that you can make bland food more tasty using spices and relishes...today I came across a relaunch of some old favourites and new items from the Branston brand and they were all in large size squeezy bottles and the supermarket had knocked them all down to £1so I bought three in the range, a brown sauce, small chunky Branston chutney and this is new a gherkin relish so I'm looking forward to trying that out. I already have Heinz tomato ketchup in the cupboard so I passed on the Branston version...this time.

I also purchased some Ice Lollies today(and they are flavoured)with lemonade, cola and cherryade...that will take me back in time...

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Nathalie eats cherries all the time, the ones in the shops now are, as you say, from the States. Previously they were from Chile or Argentina. I do have an ethical problem with them being shipped around the world for months on end but there's not much I can do apart from not eating them.

Todays word verification is phili - quite appropriate for a post on food.

23 May 2009 at 12:14  
Anonymous Northstar said...

I checked the supermarket again this morning, and still no cherries available. That's because they've all been shipped to the UK!

We have Idaho potatoes over here. (Actually, potatoes can be grown all over, including here in Wisconsin.)

23 May 2009 at 16:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There has to be some cherries more readily avaialable Paul...North Star got me interested in them last year and now I am having difficulty getting any.

Sorry that you are not able to get them too NS...Idaho ptotaoes...you know I suspect we do not get many varieties of American potatoes here...

I suspect Jerseys get their taste as much as anythibng due to the soil in Jersey...so somewhere in the States there has to be a potato that resembles them taste wise.

23 May 2009 at 19:49  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I should be in the UK this week (SHOULD have been last week!) so will look for that gherkin relish!

23 May 2009 at 20:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Have a safe journey Span...weather seems sunny and warmish but not overly hot...as for the relish, I hope/think though a new product it should be available. It's priced quite low even when not on offer but is a decent size.

24 May 2009 at 09:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home