My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Does My Opinion Count?


In the great scheme of things probably not! Collectively...perhaps.

There are views that are put in perspective by how important they are regarding our own mortality. What we possibly leave behind to others. What difference we can make to the world and those that follow us.

Then, it might come down to personal tastes in music, literature, fashion, politics and much more.

Many months ago when I started this blog I mentioned how after decades of having some gardens offering peace and tranquility and a place of sanctuary to the local wildlife some new neighbours moved in(well, relocated from another part of the area)and proceeded to rip out and remove shrubs and trees and install lots of concrete and instead of retaining a hedge at the front of the house which sparrows would enjoy they built a wall with turrets every so far along.

The result being that the wildlife has reduced and it has never recovered.

Now the neighbours across the road have after having a small pickett fence damaged around Christmas time finally decided to replace it...not with something similar but a fence that will go round what is a garden the size of a postage stamp. The house is located so it gets little if any sunlight anyhow, but now a fence is being built that will surround at least three sides, it will be approx 6 feet high and when complete there will be even less light.

Also all neighbours will be looking onto a fence that would have looked right and had some purpose if it was boundary fence running along a number of gardens or to divide property but in this instance it just looks horrible.

It also(from our point of view)stops us having an unrestricted view of a green and we'll mainly be looking at a fence from now on. From their point of view as it is a corner house they don't have a window facing onto the fence inside or out so they won't see it as such. But everyone else will.

I am unsure where the idea that everything has to be walled up or fenced in has come from these days and why if anything has to be done natural solutions cannot be found...I can only blame many of the so called home improvements programmes that are on television these days. And again, I can only see the local wildlife which we are told adds so much to the environment being affected still further and again our well being when they say we should have more open spaces to make us feel better.

I'd like to post images to illustrate my point but am mindful about privacy but I believe that I am within my rights to take general pictures of where I live so if it happens to be in the photographs that will probably be acceptable so we'll see. As you can see I have allowed one image. From this angle it perhaps does not look as bad and of course it is not completed yet.
Someone that we know who does diy and gardening(more a family friend)called out to look at a little leak we have in our heating system looked at this today and was not too impressed when he saw this fence being erected and said that he could see that the work is not level(and that was without using a spirit level)and the posts that are supporting the fence(unless something is done as an after thought)will probably rot.
He has erected a fence himself recently and sunk his posts into cement. Also, the wood on his fence was treated to protect it against the weather and upon getting it home, he treated it again. So I wonder just how long this survive?

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

How sad but not a lot you can do about it! More's the pity.

17 May 2009 at 20:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

This is how even level headed people who never get into arguments can sometimes find themselves in a dispute and I suspect most involve gardens. In the end it isn't worth it...

Though if everyone just shrugged their shoulders I suppose people would get away with anything.

It will obstruct quite an open view but the only good thing is when I sit in my chair the bottom of the lounge window blocks the fence from view...not ideal but...a solution I suppose.

I'm more unhappy about the neighbours and how what they have done has affected the wildlife we'd all become used to.

17 May 2009 at 22:51  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Plus you'd have though the green was a decent view for them even if they donĀ“t have a window directly overlooking...clearly they want their privacy.

18 May 2009 at 21:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home