My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me...

Twenty One again...

The weather is warm and sunny, maybe summer has finally arrived and may be more consistent for the next few months. My gardener(makes us sound so grand)will tidy things up at the start of next week.

I see the neighbour has finally finished the fence and yes the open view we've enjoyed for decades is now restricted. If it was built to keep the family dogs safe, it will do that but it means they have very little to look onto and if it gets very hot because the garden has been concreted over, the ground will be too hot for them to stand or walk on. And its not the best looking fence in the world. Fences are good for protection and privacy and in the right location acceptable but this looks out of place with the overall plan of the street and the houses. It is functional if nothing else.

Nothing special planned...just an easy day...a little bit of radio listening, hopefully a simple meal and perhaps a cocktail to celebrate the day. I see I am sharing my Birthday with a big sporting event, I don't remember that happening before...The FA Cup football final between Everton and Chelsea and tonight the final of a tv talent show called Britain's Got Talent but nothing has really impressed and that means the final acts in the final are not very appealing to me. I couldn't imagine wanting to go to a theatre to see any of them perform. I wonder how many of them will still be known in a few years time. Still the winner gets a prize £100,000 which must give an incentive to take part. Years ago money was not given as a prize , winning and the chance of a career in showbuisness was enough.

I had thought of trying to cook perhaps something special but the local supermarket once again seems to continue to drop many of the items I have started to enjoy and buy on a regular bases.

I have discovered Rosti's...that's a potato pancake which seemingly originated in Switzerland I have discovered. A little search on the internet suggests that they can made easily and you can try a few different ideas.

So I guess I may just have a go at making my own...

The basic recipe appears to be:

Boil some potatoes in their skins, when they are just cooked....shred them on a grater, put the shredded potato into a frying pan with some unsalted butter, then when you think they are cooked enough either serve the potato as it is or mould them into little pancakes/patties.

I was thinking of maybe making some tonight but I think I will try next week(I only have Jersey Potatoes in the house and they may not be suitable)

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Many happy returns Gildy, belatedly. Not heard of rostis before but they sound like something I've been doing for years except for the grating bit...just crush and mush

:-)

31 May 2009 at 23:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks for the good wishes Span,
As long as I am able I am back into my food again and hope to get some more cooking done again.

I would though I would be sorry to not be able to eat all that I like...hope that I can continue to jkeep an interest and still serve up Mum so lovely dishes.

I think I have done plenty of crush and mush too over the years :-)

5 June 2009 at 21:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home