My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Everything I Know...

As good as the Consultant has been to me I have learned via trusted and well run sites on the internet.

Today I discovered that a high Createnine level which is what worries the medical profession is not necessarily as bad as it would seem but rather it indicates problems caused by the kidneys and how successful they are at filtering the toxins and waste products within the blood. It also seems that most of these kind of problems are caused by viruses and/or auto immune system problems so if we could avoid catching either of those our kidneys probably would last a lifetime or we would outlive them before they fail enough to be the reason for our demise.

I have always assumed that if lucky(?)when the worst happens you will hopefully be offered(if it will work)dialysis or a transplant if there is one suitable and available.

However, it appears that many kidney patients are fortunate(?)to have a kind of dialysis that can be done at home and allow to some extent a life not tied to a hospital 3-4 times a week. It means being attached to a drip that has a bag containing some kind of solution that goes into your system and back out again. Or in some cases you have a bag fastened to your body and catheder tube attached to your stomach. I don't fancy either but I suppose if it's a matter of life and death you'll do what has to be done and live with it. But hopefully this would be a long way off in the future or may never happen.

The few I have talked to in such a situation are remarkably positive. I hope that I will be that way too. As I am now even though my posts may appear depressing. And of course it depends what is wrong with your kidneys...I know someone who is surviving perfectly well on half a kidney having had cancer and having had one totally removed. I mean really you want all your kidneys but it shows how bad things have to be. Oh remember when I said that I have found out more on the internet than any other place...this same person said, so has he!

peritoneal dialysis

And thanks to Curmy I have found this place which has some good tips even for people who are well in health or as the article says many people may have kidney problems and not even realise...but of course as I am being watched, that is either a good thing or it could be a case of being overly cautious.

Potassium and Your CKD Diet

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Oh dear, I hope things progress well Gildy.

At the risk of being direct and personal (as is my want) at what CKD phase are you?

11 May 2009 at 22:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's ok Span...I am in all honesty unsure but hopefully this is ages away or can be stopped...more may become known as things come out with the chats.

Some people have avoided it altogether or have had decades, so far I've had around 10-12 years so far.

Mum remains not just hopeful but more positive than me. When I pressed the Consultant he would not put a time on what was happening but suggested it was taking a long time...but he did say if he thought things were at a point of failing he would tell me straight. And he didn't drop that bombshell at the last appointment.

But approx ten years ago when I went on the treatment I was told that it would probably work and having responded so well, it was always believed as far as anyone could say, I would respond again. And it was going well this time but now we're in limbo...neither one way or the other.

11 May 2009 at 23:34  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Good...touch wood!

12 May 2009 at 18:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home